Members online

No members online now.

ionahoward

IMG_2215.JPG
Hi all,

I've been doing paint effects for a while now and usually we use a mix with Idenden pva etc in as a base texture coat. However I have a client who wants a concrete effect and faux plaster effect in their restaurant. After lots of research I tried out using jointing compound with water and a liquid cement pigment. This worked really well for the concrete so I'd like to go ahead using it on the walls. They've been previously painted so I planned on priming with diluted PVA then start applying net day when it's dry. Would this be okay in the long run? Once dried I was going to seal it with a matt finish Bona Mega waterbased floor varnish just for protection (i've tested this on my samples and it doesn't affect the finish).

For the faux plaster effect I made a mix of two peach paints (one light one dark) with part jointing compound and water to thicken it up so I could trowel the colours on and mix on the wall. Again the client really liked the finish so i'd like to go ahead with it, the mix is roughly 2/4 paint, 1/4 compound, 1/4 water so its more liquid than the first mix but not too sloppy. Again i'd seal with the same product.

I've used jointing compound as I read you have a longer working time with it and as i'm not applying thick layers it would hopefully be the right material. Any advice or tips welcome, ideally i'd just like to know it'll adhere well enough to last :)

Thanks in advance!
Image attached are my finished samples.

You can use the stickiest stuff in the world but it will only be as good as the bond between the present paint and the substrate it is on
You need to test it
Try a patch if you can and see how easily it comes away after a couple of days
If your happy with the strength then go for it
If not then think again

You can use the stickiest stuff in the world but it will only be as good as the bond between the present paint and the substrate it is on
You need to test it
Try a patch if you can and see how easily it comes away after a couple of days
If your happy with the strength then go for it
If not then think again
Thank you for your genuine reply, I’ll go ahead and do that