Fairy Liquid in Sand and Cement Mix

Fairlyfedup

So, I am really looking for some advice please.

I am in the process of having my lounge replastered, husband and I stripped the room back to the brick and ripped out the dodgy cracked ceiling.

Plasterer was recommended by my neighbour (he'd recently had some work done by this guy), anyway I wanted the ceiling skimmed over the blue plasterboards and the walls in hard wall & skimmed. This guy went on and on about sand and cement and how much of a better finish I'd get, so in the end we went with the sand and cement.

Couple of days ago, he tells me that the ceiling is all over the place and should he put some sand and cement on the ceiling to level it before skimming....I said "no thanks", anyway, turns out while I was out at work he went ahead and put the sand and cement on the ceiling then skimmed it. Have to say it looks okay, anyway tonight my husband, who isn't from the UK and tbh doesn't take a lot of notice told me that the plasterer keeps taking the fairy liquid, suffice to say the entire bottle has been used. Now I realise in the sand and cement mix.

Everything that I've read says that adding fairy liquid is a definite no no. How do I proceed, is it likely that the mix will fail in couple of years? Should I be telling him I'm not happy and he should take the whole lot off and redo it? Or should I just leave it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Jayne

Don't know if it will come off,but fairy liquid in sand cement is like pva on walls before painting.
A no no.

So, I am really looking for some advice please.

I am in the process of having my lounge replastered, husband and I stripped the room back to the brick and ripped out the dodgy cracked ceiling.

Plasterer was recommended by my neighbour (he'd recently had some work done by this guy), anyway I wanted the ceiling skimmed over the blue plasterboards and the walls in hard wall & skimmed. This guy went on and on about sand and cement and how much of a better finish I'd get, so in the end we went with the sand and cement.

Couple of days ago, he tells me that the ceiling is all over the place and should he put some sand and cement on the ceiling to level it before skimming....I said "no thanks", anyway, turns out while I was out at work he went ahead and put the sand and cement on the ceiling then skimmed it. Have to say it looks okay, anyway tonight my husband, who isn't from the UK and tbh doesn't take a lot of notice told me that the plasterer keeps taking the fairy liquid, suffice to say the entire bottle has been used. Now I realise in the sand and cement mix.

Everything that I've read says that adding fairy liquid is a definite no no. How do I proceed, is it likely that the mix will fail in couple of years? Should I be telling him I'm not happy and he should take the whole lot off and redo it? Or should I just leave it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Jayne
Oh dear !! Danny been out his computer chair again:endesacuerdo:

Some members on here :sisi:were definitely told not to use it.
image.jpeg
:birras:

No problem with fairy in Sand and cement i do it all the time. Makes the job that bit easier.
I was on a site years ago,the brickies were
Using fairy liquid in mix.site agent caught them using it and condemned the work they had done,the wall was demolished.

I was told that with washing up liquid the air entrapment size varies which causes a weaker mix
Yes,that's the reason the agent condemned mix it can weaken it.
If u we're meant to put fairy liquid in mortar it would be available in builders merchants. Cmon guys. Google it.

Yes,that's the reason the agent condemned mix it can weaken it.
If u we're meant to put fairy liquid in mortar it would be available in builders merchants. Cmon guys. Google it.
any idea what was used before all the additives came out?

Plenty of rendered ceilings here in sunny Spain and was the norm for all internal / external work , lime earth and old shoes bottles etc etc before that oh and plenty of mule s**t.:birras:

Remember a job years ago,this aul plasterer put a bottle in his mix, few days later the tender was still not set. Ended up pulling it off and redoing it

Remember a job years ago,this aul plasterer put a bottle in his mix, few days later the tender was still not set. Ended up pulling it off and redoing it

No wonder with a bottle in it lol.

Too much washing up liquid let mix for too long will kill the cement, as will Feb, it's knowing how much to put in.
You can throw a s**t load of the cheap s**t in, only need a drop of fairy though.
Like flynny has suggested it's the same stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much washing up liquid let mix for too long will kill the cement, as will Feb, it's knowing how much to put in.
You can throw a s**t load of the cheap s**t in, only need a drop of fairy though.

It's true the concentrated fairy will go a lot further :) I can see the ad :) one house in the pic for the cheap alternative and a block of apartments for the fairy :) someone missed a trick ;)

I've never used it myself since that day I seen this done lol

Fairys full o salt. And has no water re***d properties. Definetly creams up the mix.
Stick to bostic waterproofer masel

Fairy is better than anything else for sand and cement . When am using waterproofer I'll still put in a bit of fairy. It's easyr to put the sand and cement on the walls u get it on quicker it's easyr to rule.

The point is not is fairy liquid good for a mix.
Show me a quote in any building standard spec allowing it as a alternative.
Any architects recommending it.