Extra extra time

Natwasere

Used some extra time on a 5 bag double vaulted and curved ceiling for the first time today. Thought yeah that will gave me an extra hour or so. Knocked up first coat 1230 finally finished it at 1930. That was alot longer then expected lol, guessing the cold weather had a lot to do with it? Probably wouldnt of got it done in one otherwise and feels quite solid so thumbs up to it I guess.

Got a garage workshop to do later in the week and considering using this and chucking it all on in one :)

Attachments

• IMG-20161219-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20161219-WA0003.jpeg
    979.6 KB · Views: 318
Would have meant joining it and customer didn't want that, also didn't fancy joining that sort of ceiling, where would you join it? Wasn't really problem but if I knew I would of made sure I was going to knock up first thing

Maybe skim was on a bit too thick as well as the cold weather
Probably got a bit to do with it. It was the curve area that was over 2hr old bonding that held off for so long. Tricky to get that thickness bang on plus also the bottom was upto 5mm where it had to be as straight as can be against the wall. And the main area was ready an hour earlier

Did a big ceiling last week in a rolling gauge, took 6 bags , was going to do a ussain bolt and do it in one gauge... decided to split it in a roll, much easier . Seen it painted and I can't see the join. I remember someone asking for advice on here and someone replied "learn how to fade, blend and join"

Did a big ceiling last week in a rolling gauge, took 6 bags , was going to do a ussain bolt and do it in one gauge... decided to split it in a roll, much easier . Seen it painted and I can't see the join. I remember someone asking for advice on here and someone replied "learn how to fade, blend and join"
I can join, done lots and lots of joining and feathering, making good etc etc over the years but with and up an over just thought it would be grief. Would you join that all the way up and over? Plus also I beaded the bottoms as it is critical they are straight. And you probably know how difficult them splayed angles can be to get straight.

Though I had never thought about the scrim trick, used to chop it back with a scraper just before. And funny how a simple trick makes life so much eaiser.

I can join, done lots and lots of joining and feathering, making good etc etc over the years but with and up an over just thought it would be grief. Would you join that all the way up and over? Plus also I beaded the bottoms as it is critical they are straight. And you probably know how difficult them splayed angles can be to get straight.

I know what your saying , on a curved join it's tricky, and as for long splays that's another story. Some like stop bead, some ping a string line, to each there own

Used some extra time on a 5 bag double vaulted and curved ceiling for the first time today. Thought yeah that will gave me an extra hour or so. Knocked up first coat 1230 finally finished it at 1930. That was alot longer then expected lol, guessing the cold weather had a lot to do with it? Probably wouldnt of got it done in one otherwise and feels quite solid so thumbs up to it I guess.

Got a garage workshop to do later in the week and considering using this and chucking it all on in one :)

Extratime by name :D Extratime by nature :D

I know what your saying , on a curved join it's tricky, and as for long splays that's another story. Some like stop bead, some ping a string line, to each there own

Yeah donee ping line option too. Pretty good. Except I'm a messy git and lose the line pretty quickly.

Got a load of these ceiling to do, gonna put it on thick with bit extra time in, bang it on quick in a day or so, and trowel it up in the new year!!! Lol:rolleyes:

Did you put the extra time into the second coat aswell?

Probably got a bit to do with it. It was the curve area that was over 2hr old bonding that held off for so long. Tricky to get that thickness bang on plus also the bottom was upto 5mm where it had to be as straight as can be against the wall. And the main area was ready an hour earlier

we would have gone into melt down listening to your method to plaster a rake ceiling.

scrim joints, bonding mixed with cement to curve, run a mould along the bonding to give you a proper shape, the bonding would set in ten mins. set ceiling and rakes. then gone home early.

we would have gone into melt down listening to your method to plaster a rake ceiling.

scrim joints, bonding mixed with cement to curve, run a mould along the bonding to give you a proper shape, the bonding would set in ten mins. set ceiling and rakes. then gone home early.
You say about the mould, would you make one or have you got a specific tool for forming the curve?

You say about the mould, would you make one or have you got a specific tool for forming the curve?

we use a plastic child dinner plate most of the time, if the angle looks wrong we get something else like a plastic paint tin lid, we also carry a piece of 3 ply if we do need to cut a new mould.
this method will straighten out the curve hiding nasty lines then skims easy the finish looks very good.

Did you put the extra time into the second coat aswell?
Yeah

"We"
It's only me knocking up, climbing up and down both sides of the tower putting it on troweling it up, 6 light wires coming out on the curve, going round 3 oak beams (both sides) sheeting up a brick wall blah de blah. It sucks on your own. Did like idea of a mould, used speed skim to make curves nice but might do a mould next time. Main thing is its come out spot on and splayed angles are as good as perfect which was something that was a must, just got caught out on how long it would hold it back for :)

Yeah

"We"
It's only me knocking up, climbing up and down both sides of the tower putting it on troweling it up, 6 light wires coming out on the curve, going round 3 oak beams (both sides) sheeting up a brick wall blah de blah. It sucks on your own. Did like idea of a mould, used speed skim to make curves nice but might do a mould next time. Main thing is its come out spot on and splayed angles are as good as perfect which was something that was a must, just got caught out on how long it would hold it back for :)

not a job for a one man band.
a mould is a lot better then a speed skim as they will ride a bump they cut off.
we get the base straight then skim very tight.

not a job for a one man band.
a mould is a lot better then a speed skim as they will ride a bump they cut off.
we get the base straight then skim very tight.

Putting some of the kiddies plates on the van tmw :), agreed not really a one man job but the extra time did make it possible. Just wish I got started a bit earlier or sheeted up Fri evening as I was there floating and decided to go home early

:llorando:

Not too sure why that took 5 bags.
This room took 5.5 + the bathroom behind it.
Without the use of bonding just skim..3m high.
Theres a stop bead going down the ceiling/wall the ceiling has 4 rounds.
The arch was a stop bead the joinery and stud work was shite.

And i bet you got paid more than me ya cuntcha !!!!!

Attachments

• 20161122_163832.jpg
    20161122_163832.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 272
  • 20161122_163826.jpg
    20161122_163826.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 249

Never mind bonding or kiddies plates....just 1 coat the fuucker take your shitty £2.50 and enjoy life !!!

Attachments

• 20161123_174957.jpg
    20161123_174957.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 218

Was picture taken before sun came up at 8.15am .?

I don't do site per mtr prices, I wouldn't be able to keep up with you lot.

The pic doesn't show all the ceiling just a bit above the tower. I also 2 coated it 35-40 m2 at 3mm works out works out at over 5 bags so I'm somewhere between 2-3mm, no doubt you did it in one coat?

I don't do site per mtr prices, I wouldn't be able to keep up with you lot.

The pic doesn't show all the ceiling just a bit above the tower. I also 2 coated it 35-40 m2 at 3mm works out works out at over 5 bags so I'm somewhere between 2-3mm, no doubt you did it in one coat?

Ive done about 30 of them rooms on the same site .....the 1st one i done off a tower.
After that i used high stilts.
Your work looks tidy.

At Olican, it was myself that said previously that being able to blend & fade in work is the most important skill you can learn on internal work.

Like yourself I did 1 similar loft ceiling in the summer around 5/6 bags all rolling set.

Equally if I'd of preferred to have put a split in it I would have with 100% confidence.

I really don't get all this" customer didn't want a join it etc"

Were supposed to be the professional how we set up our work is our prerogative providing all work is well executed.

Like I've always always said much better to do 2 halves flawless than 1 big area thst you cant control badly.

Splits/ blending in areas of skim happen every single day on big commercial jobs etc its a nesacerry skill of the trade.

I think we are missing the point here, extra time made it possible for me on my own to do it without splitting it (which wouldn't have been any faster, and bit more grief). I did it in one everything is perfect, everybody happy. Just saying extra time is a good little addition to have to the trade. Also made me look good to the customer :)

Ive done about 30 of them rooms on the same site .....the 1st one i done off a tower.
After that i used high stilts.
Your work looks tidy.

Thanks btw, i sort of have to make sure everything is pretty damn good because i cant skim a room everyday. That room is done thank f**k might take a few pics in daylight. Sand and cement off tower no fun either.

I've seen the day joint/scrim tape joint crack before. It's not 100% safe to do it, all looked good and painted up nice with no scar obviously but I noticed a very faint hair line crack appear on the joint. Can't explain it because it was taped underneath but it cracked nevertheless.