External wall, lime, thermal plaster board, sand and cement…help

Members online

Dodger2303

Hi all

We started what was meant to be a fairly small project in our dining room. On starting to work with the walls a large portion of them had extremely loose plaster. Now we have dealt with that we have ended up back to brick.

The walls are 2 bricks thick with no air gap.

We have been told so many different solutions and it is causing a level of panic / fear / confusion.

We have been suggested the following.

1 - dot and dab with thermal plasterboard and some fixings. Will lose around 5cm per wall.

2 - treated battens with foil backed plaster board. Will lose around 5cm per wall.

3 - sand and cement plaster with some form of water proofing mix. Assume we lose around 10mm

4 - lime plaster which seems complicated and expensive.

Pics attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

Attachments

• ACFF44ED-01A0-45BE-AD40-04B514F5659C.jpeg
    ACFF44ED-01A0-45BE-AD40-04B514F5659C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 7CE35D7D-70DB-43E9-966E-FAC0BAC59136.jpeg
    7CE35D7D-70DB-43E9-966E-FAC0BAC59136.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 122
  • 6621B8E3-5F6C-452C-9D8C-D03467CB25FE.jpeg
    6621B8E3-5F6C-452C-9D8C-D03467CB25FE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 112
  • 7894F83D-73FC-4790-8A13-DAC7B2C202AF.jpeg
    7894F83D-73FC-4790-8A13-DAC7B2C202AF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
Update, the main suggestion we have been given is sand and cement with a hydrophobic agent and then a regular skim. Apparently this avoids condensation in an air gap, offers protection from damp etc.

Does this sound right.

Thanks all.

Update, the main suggestion we have been given is sand and cement with a hydrophobic agent and then a regular skim. Apparently this avoids condensation in an air gap, offers protection from damp etc.

Does this sound right.

Thanks all.
Suns shining and it's 33°c.Beer will be flowing so very doubtful your get a sensible answer today.

Have a lovely day.

If its old brickwork then it would have originally been sand and cement with a skim so that's not a bad solution. Battens and plasterboard is an option, may/may not cost less, but are you going to keep/use that fireplace? If so then go the S&C route.

Thanks loads for the replies so far.

The chimney is getting battened and plaster boarded with vapour panel plasterboard. Do I need to insulate the pipes or will they be fine. Good if I don’t have to so I don’t have to come out more.

For the sand and cement mixture are they any recommends for the type of additive to make it waterproof.

Been looking at this at wickes.

Pricey but want to get the right thing.

Or is a cheaper in also ok.

Thanks

You t
Thanks loads for the replies so far.

The chimney is getting battened and plaster boarded with vapour panel plasterboard. Do I need to insulate the pipes or will they be fine. Good if I don’t have to so I don’t have to come out more.

For the sand and cement mixture are they any recommends for the type of additive to make it waterproof.

Been looking at this at wickes.

Pricey but want to get the right thing.

Or is a cheaper in also ok.

Thanks
Dont tell me your taking this job on yourself especially Float and set

No I’m not that crazy. Would t dare to try this.

Just discussing products with our builders and always like a second opinion.

They think an SBR prime on the brick followed by sand and cement with Sika 1 will be all good.

I really want to keep our walls solid and not turn it into something that feels like a new build.

Can’t afford like either in cost or time.

Sorry guys. Just reiterating my question. I really need some wise advice.

If I have two solid brick external walls that have never had damp before. It’s a first floor room. The old plaster was utterly fuckucked so had to pull it.

Now I want to know if a sand and cement mix with sika 1 will work. Or will it destroy the “breathability” of the walls.

Obvs sbr etc first.

Thanks again

If I have two solid brick external walls that have never had damp before. It’s a first floor room. The old plaster was utterly fuckucked so had to pull it.

Now I want to know if a sand and cement mix with sika 1 will work. Or will it destroy the “breathability” of the walls.

Obvs sbr etc first.

Thanks again
I Told you to use hardwall

Obvs sbr etc first.

Thanks again
Tank the wall, stud it off, foil back board it and insulate it, job done nice plumb square walls