External rendering and preparing backgrounds

Kylie10

I’m completing a plastering course and looking for some help

absorbtion rates and suction rates, are they important? Does a wall need a good suction rate to work on or not? And when it comes to preparing a background, how do you decide or know if it has a good key? Just the texture of the wall? And if there isn’t a key is that when you must provide pva or other bonding instead

I’m completing a plastering course and looking for some help

absorbtion rates and suction rates, are they important? Does a wall need a good suction rate to work on or not? And when it comes to preparing a background, how do you decide or know if it has a good key? Just the texture of the wall? And if there isn’t a key is that when you must provide pva or other bonding instead
Hello. Yes absorption/suction rates are important. Quite a bit to cover in answering your questions. Every wall will be different and Shall need to be prepared accordingly, preparation is key. Most products you use will instruct you on how to apply them. For most renders I always prime the walls depending on what the product specifies. If I’m over skimming existing walls then pva will do mostly, sometimes thistlebond or a similar product. Distemper will need sealing first then going over with pva/thistlebond. You can only learn so much through text and courses, If you’re looking for a career in plastering I’ll say what the bloke who taught me said, don’t do it! If you really have a passion for it then try and get someone to follow on the trowel. Best of luck to you.