External plinth Sand and cement mix.

mikeweston

I'm just wondering what mix people use on below dpc plinths? Its on common red brick. I was going to do a 5:1 with waterproofer for scratch coat on the plinths.

I don't render them they should be left. I always tell clients to either leave bare or paint with something breathable.
If your gonna do it use something breathable so the moisture doesn't get locked in.
No point in using waterproofer as its moisture from the ground that will soak up through the bricks so waterproofer is pointless.
Some call this rising damp others call it magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgreenplastering is right. If the brickwork is shoddy, rake the joints and repoint in hydraulic lime to smarten it up, if it needs a colour you need to paint it in something to let it breathe. Old places used several coats of lime wash, I imagine you could put a colour in it.

Cheers for the advice. I'll have a word with the customer. It's a porch that he wanted matching in with the house which has a plinth. I get what you're saying with it wanting to be permeable. Makes sense.

If your a professional then you should know what your doing, DO NOT JUST BANG IT ON!!

Well done for asking for advice.

Profi Tight is a two component thick bitumen emulsion and cement based combination, which is used as a waterproofing solution for the below ground surfaces of concrete and masonry.

Profi Tight powder and emulsion are thoroughly mixed together in the metal pail it is supplied in and then applied by slurry brush or trowel as required, directly to the levelled and primed surfaces. As it is a bitumen emulsion all of the tools and equipment used can be easily cleaned with water.

Aida Kiesol is used as the priming solution on the substrates first and a distinct advantage of Profi Tight is the lack of any stong odours or the flammable risks associated with many traditional 'bitumen based' waterproofing solutions.

Prof Tight is high build, flexible, extremely tough and highly resistant to backfilling materials and compatible with all types of drainage systems and waterproofing protection boards.;) :)

If your a professional then you should know what your doing, DO NOT JUST BANG IT ON!!

Well done for asking for advice.

Profi Tight is a two component thick bitumen emulsion and cement based combination, which is used as a waterproofing solution for the below ground surfaces of concrete and masonry.

Profi Tight powder and emulsion are thoroughly mixed together in the metal pail it is supplied in and then applied by slurry brush or trowel as required, directly to the levelled and primed surfaces. As it is a bitumen emulsion all of the tools and equipment used can be easily cleaned with water.

Aida Kiesol is used as the priming solution on the substrates first and a distinct advantage of Profi Tight is the lack of any stong odours or the flammable risks associated with many traditional 'bitumen based' waterproofing solutions.

Prof Tight is high build, flexible, extremely tough and highly resistant to backfilling materials and compatible with all types of drainage systems and waterproofing protection boards.;) :)
Yes I would class myself as a professional !!!!
Your just talking out of your poo hole!
Are you a sales man or a plasterer? Will your theory stop the water sucking up from below the ground and behind this super product??????

"Jersyboy"

If its a super product then obviously you should know what i am going on about! Explain how you would do it then.. ;)

"Jersyboy"

If its a super product then obviously you should know what i am going on about! Explain how you would do it then.. ;)
Are you a plasterer????? Or sales man ????
To be honest I think this is an easy thing to do.
I don't think there is anything wrong in someone asking for advise or a second opinion on how to complete the job.
I just think your spec was way over the top for something so simple
ONLY MY OPINION

I agree with the previous comments.

If no insulation requirements from a customer, suggest to leave or paint with a breathable paint, no need really for over designed solution in my opinion.

If thermal insulation is required, then highly breathable Bauwer Light and Bauwer Finish could be used, to be painted with the vapour permeable masonry paint, so the moisture doesn't get locked in.

If the brickwork is in bad condition, Bauwer could be used same way as hydraulic lime to improve the look, condition. and the thermal performance.

Not the best picture but did it like this in the end. 4-1 scratch and 5-1 top coat. The main walls were 5_1 scratch and 6-1 top. Beaded on dpc line.

Attachments

• 1476277340469.jpg
    1476277340469.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 916
It can be done even if it really shouldn't be just tell customer of downfalls if it is done and they want it done still I've done a few before never had a call back but I change my number every month any way (only joking)