exposed beading in external rendering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsboy

A plasterer has rendered my house in white render.

He's not covered any of the beading but plastered to it, leaving the metal beading exposed at the corners and above the windows and doors.

Is this usual? I'm worried about the render flaking away from the beading and also the possibility of the metal rusting one day. (though he assures me the beading is stainless steel) I live by the sea and rust does get everywhere!

If it's not usual, is there anything he can do to cover it, short of skimming the whole house?

Any advice would really be appreciated!

it depends on how much of the bead is exposed,you should just see the very nose of the bead.if the corner angle looks crisp and square then ur ok,if u can see the mesh part of bead then bin him

should be ok, thats normal to leave the tip exposed, it wouldnt be flat else would it? wouldnt hurt for you to paint over the edges yourself with some weatherproof paint, if your worried....
living by the sea you should know that everything will rust/corrode in one form or another in time, stainless would have been the best option for your plasterer, we just normally use galvanised....

if its a white cement render they will know what they are doing if they havent used stainless steel beads they dont know what they are doing find out what beads they have used

cause plastic beads expand and contract in different weather, portland cement renders do not move in the same way as plastic

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The white render is sand and cement. (He was supposed to put a dye in it but didnt do that either.) Its just the spine of the metal bead not the mesh thats showing. Another plasterer said he should've used stop beading not corner beading.

I can live with it but I think when we come to sell it, some people might think it unfinished.

I was thinking of painting the spine though with hammerite

i think the other plasterer is winding you up ;) an angle bead does exactly what it says on the tin, if you did use a stop bead the spine of the bead would be even more pronounced
trust me as far as i can tell (apart from the dye) he's not doing any different than thousands of us do every day

The spine of a corner bead will always show to some extent thats what it's designed to do. I suggest you paint it with an external paint.

I was taught to clean beading off at the end of a job and that it was the sign of good plasterer.

Status
Not open for further replies.