Expensive Quote?

Members online

Lloydy304

I am after getting my newly built extesion plastered walls and ceiling board and skim. I have had 3 qoutes all different and all recommended tradesman.

The total sqm of boarding and skimming is 55 m2, this is with 10% waste added.

So x20 8x4 boards and x17 2.5m angle bead

Material cost from buildbase is £250 including board finish and drywall.

Three qoutes was £640, £1000, and £840.

I live in the north east UK just want to know what i should be paying if anyone can help me out. I am tempted with the 840 price as he was the only one who measured up properly.

I am after getting my newly built extesion plastered walls and ceiling board and skim. I have had 3 qoutes all different and all recommended tradesman.

I live in the north east UK just want to know what i should be paying if anyone can help me out. I am tempted with the 840 price as he was the only one who measured up properly.
Sounds like a nightmare if you need 17 angle beads on 55m2 of plastering. Quotes aren’t expensive imo, go with who you feel you can trust to do the job.

Are you supplying materials or is that down to plasterer to provide?

Meters tell you nothing about a job there's much more to it than that. For instance is the job easy to access, is the builder other trades workmanship upto scratch, are there any special features etc. Most of all though is the customer a moanig dick.
Im not a moaning dick I built the extension. So it was done with love and care so walls are plumb.
Would board it myself if I never had two skips to fill and 2 more walls to demolish.

Tbh a job that size I would t measure up as you should be able to walk it and work a price out.If there all recommended and good surley you would go with cheapest?Have you seen any work of these tradesman or is it word of mouth?

Tbh a job that size I would t measure up as you should be able to walk it and work a price out.If there all recommended and good surley you would go with cheapest?Have you seen any work of these tradesman or is it word of mouth?

Yes only the lad for £840 he done one wall in my mothers. Only problem is he has a full time job and said he would do nights and weekends.

Measured up? I’ve never measured a job in my life. I see bags and days.

Can afford an extension, but faffing about paying a plasterer?

Forget the price. Go for the best spread. If he’s not the most expensive then that’s a bonus but go for the best with best rep.

Seen so many beautiful extensions wrote off with s**t plastering. Still can’t believe c**ts scrimp over few hundred quid for there 30 grand extension.

Heres one from this week. Look at the plastering. Hard putting a floor in surrounded by that. Rough.

Attachments

• FD2B0648-E456-4F16-8CCE-508DBF50FFF6.jpeg
    FD2B0648-E456-4F16-8CCE-508DBF50FFF6.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 289
If they are supplying materials then even the £1000 price is too cheap in my opinion.. not to mention 17 beads, doesn't sound like your average 4 walls and a ceiling.

Measured up? I’ve never measured a job in my life. I see bags and days.

Can afford an extension, but faffing about paying a plasterer?

Forget the price. Go for the best spread. If he’s not the most expensive then that’s a bonus but go for the best with best rep.

Seen so many beautiful extensions wrote off with s**t plastering. Still can’t believe c**ts scrimp over few hundred quid for there 30 grand extension.

My 30k extension is now at 8.5k I am time served bricky and time served sparky I could not afford 30k. Been buying and building as I go working weekends.
This will the first tradsman in my house since I put spade to ground.

Also, why are you working out how much they are going to spend on materials? That irritates the f**k out of me, it's got nothing to do with you what they are going to take home in their labour costs. Why can't you just trust them that they are doing a good job and not robbing you? Not to mention that they may or may not waste more than you expect. I didn't work out how much the parts were when my van went in for a new clutch and then question the bill.. I really couldn't give a s**t what someone earns out of me providing they do a good job and it's CLEARLY not extortionate. I guess some people are obsessed with money though and don't like parting with it.

Rant over.

Also, why are you working out how much they are going to spend on materials? That irritates the f**k out of me, it's got nothing to do with you what they are going to take home in their labour costs. Why can't you just trust them that they are doing a good job and not robbing you? Not to mention that they may or may not waste more than you expect. I didn't work out how much the parts were when my van went in for a new clutch and then question the bill.. I really couldn't give a s**t what someone earns out of me providing they do a good job and it's CLEARLY not extortionate. I guess some people are obsessed with money though and don't like parting with it.

Rant over.

I have a trade account with buildbase I worked out how much for materials as I was planning boarding myself. Plasters getting material £10 cheaper than me.

8 Cans cheaper

Rant over.

Well said. Don't forget all the free things us plasterers get.. like

Free van insurance, love that
Free fuel, bonus
Free road tax, personal favourite
Free vehicle repairs including parts, standard
Free lifetime supply of scrim tape, always nice
Free lifetime supply of drywall screws, god send
Free lifetime supply of PVA, can't get enough

Free fuel, bonus

Not well said. He clearly got ripped off with that van clutch.

Free fuel, bonus
Where do I sign up for all that???

Getting in/out materials-£100
Cleaning -£50
Travel-£50
Food-£30
Drinks-£100
Dealing with stingy and nosy customers- £1000
Covering customers unrealistic expectations given the price-£250
2580+20%= 3096

Free estimate! You are welcome!

Getting in/out materials-£100
Cleaning -£50
Travel-£50
Food-£30
Drinks-£100
Dealing with stingy and nosy customers- £1000
Covering customers unrealistic expectations given the price-£250
2580+20%= 3096

Free estimate! You are welcome!

Didn't expect quite an educated response.
Thanks

Post up a picture of what you need doing. I never price nothing over the fone. Are you supplying not enough info to give ya a answer. Living in a certain area hardly makes a difference these days to be honest

Free fuel, bonus
Dont forget how we like to give our free time up pricing jobs and l
Going for material

I had a customer said he’d get the boards. Did 1 run and said f**k that. It’s hard work. There’s more to it than meets the eye

I despise going pricing n picking gear up . Thats why i.m happy earning a decent day wage n letting other do it then just turn up with trowel

Hmm I think we've seen o few of these..Today its am I being ripped off ..Tomorrow its there's a blob of mortar on the window shud I pay him...Meterage rates are for sites and have little relevance in pricing small domestic jobs..

I had one not long ago, 2 complete bathroom refurbs in the same house.
As soon as I walked in he said I'll supply all the materials and should only take you 2 weeks!! :D

Worst thing ever . Few red flags:

“DAys work max”

“Whats your day rate”

“Easy staight forward job”

“Walls in good condition just need a quick skim”

And the other classic line. 'My sons a plumber, but he's too busy'.

Ah, OK. Now I know that, I'll do it at a 'trade price for you, an instant 50% discount!