ex-soldier wanting to become a plasterer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave you my honest opiion, go on the course,what have you got to loose,you only need to learn to mix, lay on, trowel out, wet and dry polish, how long can that take.
Oh, then theres, different suctions, different backing plasters,how to get them on, level and straighten out, floating them,skimming them.
Then screeding,the mixes , how to lay them, rub them up.
Rendering, all the different types.
Coving
Damp repair work.
Thats just scratching the surface .

Think you will learn and Master all that , then be able to go out alaone and master it all in 3 weeks.

and you'll be on £100 grand a year too, then it's the charmed life of footballer's wages after that.

We've never had it so good..

Hi Muzza
Do what you have to do to pay the bills, So you have done your 3 wks now what are you going to do am not been funny mate just asking the question.

Then theres learning to quote, get the work,do your books,work on your van on your days of.Its a amazing life .Go for it.

Just to chip in here.............We are NOT against people going on courses for a bit of DIYing around their own houses, or I'm not anyhow.
What p!sses me off is them who come on here for advice, get told a few home truths, i.e. "you can't become a plastererer in 3/4/5/6 weeks" and then get all irate because they want to believe we are fkin bullsh!tting them!!!!!!
It's the course providers who are at fault here - selling a dream for £100's - if not £1000's - and duping them into believing that they will make a great living from what they have learned. Funny how folks don't want to believe us, and our advice is FREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

better still, why dont you take me on and you can teach me your wisdom and let me master this profession, i,ll work for £50 a day,

You just said before that you wouldnt work for the minimum wage which is more or less £50.... I think you need to accept that your not going to learn plastering in a couple of weeks regarless of how good a soldier you were

Just to chip in here.............We are NOT against people going on courses for a bit of DIYing around their own houses, or I'm not anyhow.
What p!sses me off is them who come on here for advice, get told a few home truths, i.e. "you can't become a plastererer in 3/4/5/6 weeks" and then get all irate because they want to believe we are fkin bullsh!tting them!!!!!!
It's the course providers who are at fault here - selling a dream for £100's - if not £1000's - and duping them into believing that they will make a great living from what they have learned. Funny how folks don't want to believe us, and our advice is FREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfectly put.

I have left the army after 10 years of service. i was a bricklayer before joining, and did an 8 week course in plastering. I did the course and was ******* chuffed with the standard that i produced. I started working for a plasterer with over 25 years experience, and was told by him that the way i go about my work is as if i have been doing it for years. So in answer to some of the posts You can be of a good standard only if your heart is in it and you enjoy what it is your doing then you can become competent. Always take critisicm and learn from the negatives. I suppose my bricklaying experience may have helped towards it. I have now covered all aspects of the trade and am competent to go onto someones job and do the best standard i can achieve.

So Ex Soldier do a course and give it your all!!!!

I'm ex serving, been out been out 14 been a slater/plasterer since i went time served! Got my own business now!

Muzza, one of my mates from school did long spell in 3 para, when he came with me plastering he was good bloke, on time and kept a clean and tidy labouring set up, the time to learn this skill is when you are young mate, we had a laugh but it was only a stop gap for him, he realised that .

Can't be that hard can it swank it off all day in beautiful sunshine then shoot the odd stray f**k*r

All we needs now is a van to get us into Syria

8b1991c0133b25dc2e7b372031837439.jpg

^

I'm more into our exit strategy :RpS_blushing:

What we could do is leave Flynny there, as a thorn in their sides and drop some fat plasterers ( yes there are some ) onto their multi bunkers from warriors helicopter

Hi Muzza. I'll try to give you an idea of what to expect.

Being keen to do the job is half the hurdle done. Just do the course, won't cost you much, and it gives you an idea of what's involved. What you will find though is as these courses tend to take you through fitting plasterboard to stud walls and ceilings, it won't prepare you for plastering in different situations, like over artex, gloss/matt paint or use of various preparation applications to all the different types of backgrounds we tend to go over. Probably won't go into much detail on rendering/hardwall/ dot n dab etc, just skimming and perhaps a few skim coat angle beads and some reveal work. Just do it, then practice on your/friends/garage walls etc. Biggest mission will be getting up to speed and ensuring the finish is acceptable to the customer. (you probably won't be able to use what experience you have to work for a spread straight off, so go it alone, put an ad in your local paper once you are profficient enough - MUST be or you'll cock up the jobs and not get paid) Don't go for big jobs or heavy work (render/hardwall etc) Keep it clean, honest and pleasant and your customers will appreciate you more.
Folks on here are always willing to offer good impartial advice if you don't take the piss, so any help you need will be forthcoming.
(one way to start is get a paying job and have a spread from here help you, that way you build a relationshp with the locals who may offer you work in return.)

Bit long but hopefully helpful.

these courses are an insult the tradesmen that have spent years mastering their trade. You want to learn to plaster get a labouring job and then ******* pay attention, in 3 years you might be somewhere close to a plasterer.

i did a 2 year nvq course finished it thought i knew the lot turns out i know **** all.
been plastering with my mate 14 years experiance for about 18 month and can say iv learnt more in that time than anything a collage can teach you.
id say go for it but dont think you will come out of it a skilled tradesman its not going to happen.

i did a 2 year nvq course finished it thought i knew the lot turns out i know **** all.
been plastering with my mate 14 years experiance for about 18 month and can say iv learnt more in that time than anything a collage can teach you.
id say go for it but dont think you will come out of it a skilled tradesman its not going to happen.
there is a man talking f ucking sense about time:RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.