Ewi on a cavity wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert on ewi,but I'd say it would perform better with a cavity wall,the logic being more layers and an air gap .I could be proven wrong by the manufacturer though,they will be the best bet as said:RpS_thumbup:

Should perform the exact same and the system will be the same

I have just done my grandmothers house which had cavity wall insulation. We took images with a thermal image camera and it showed that the cavity wall insulation was not installed properly and the performance was terrible.

If you need info on the system and want us to calculate the U value etc give me a shout and I will pass it over to Mapei for you

Last edited:
Should perform the exact same and the system will be the same

I have just done my grandmothers house which had cavity wall insulation. We took images with a thermal image camera and it showed that the cavity wall insulation was not installed properly and the performance was terrible.

If you need info on the system and want us to calculate the U value etc give me a shout and I will pass it over to Mapei for you

As you say there can be a cavity insulation there, but if its not fitted correctly and full of cold spots it aint working.

As you say there can be a cavity insulation there, but if its not fitted correctly and full of cold spots it aint working.

Exactly mate. We have come across lots of properties with cavity wall insulation which hasn't been done properly. I read something about hundreds of houses in wales needing to be re-done

I might be on the wrong end of this but don't you have to remove the cavity insulation at first then install ewi. Surely a brick/block built wall in between two layers of insulation calls for trouble isn't? I mean like condensation which can lead to all sorts of damp problems? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

How would ewi perform on a wall with a cavity compared to it on a solid wall?
Cheers
Same as usual . You may have to drill through the first brick for your fixings,it depends in what conditions the bricks are.The same if is cblocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.