Ewi my own house

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
If I wanted to ewi my own house and have a guarantee ,are there many hoops and are the worth jumping through,it is a semi detached 1930s house, so 3 external walls.
sw London location

Should be allowed under permitted development, unless in conservation area etc, worthwhile running it past planning in case.

Physically, just the usual stuff....extend flues, air grills,allow for soffit overhang, extending soil/wastes etc, sat tv, mains elec intake etc.

Stay with a proven system that will give manufacture warranty.

If its solid wall it can be part funded and will then come with a 25/35 yr insurance guarantee as provided by the installer.

I understand the building rules part, not the ewi rules part re myself doing the work,would I need to be accredited installer?

To get any sort of warranty yes and alot of the companies wont let you even by the stuff unless u are.

I understand the building rules part, not the ewi rules part re myself doing the work,would I need to be accredited installer?

you would need someone to show you as there lots of pit falls.
some systems are more like plastering then others.
what finish would you like? are you close to a main road? some may discolour.

you would need someone to show you as there lots of pit falls.
some systems are more like plastering then others.
what finish would you like? are you close to a main road? some may discolour.
It's a 1930s building ,not near a main road but a rat run road ,I would like a finish like it is at the moment,dashed look

Polish?:RpS_thumbup:
I am not worried about people's postcodes of birth, more concerned about it been a good job, all boxes ticked.45million polish ,there are bound to be good and bad, oddly the I Q has risen in English schools where a first language is not English.

Nice job for a machine - Get a ritmo
At 47 ,with osteoarthritis my ambition has lessened , been at the game since 18 and full time since I was 21 ,sole trader since 92 ,I would much prefer to buy renovate and sell, this house is the latest, very hard to buy in London now.a lot more fun in knocking an old place into shape

My old man is almost 60 and reckons the Ritmo will help him get another 5 years. A ritmo on finance works out 7.50 a day.

Sorry to hear about ur osteo my uncle has it and is a spread. It proper kripples him some days.

Get a ritmo, train some lads and run around sorting the jobs and have a house to do up in between the jobs

My old man is almost 60 and reckons the Ritmo will help him get another 5 years. A ritmo on finance works out 7.50 a day.

Sorry to hear about ur osteo my uncle has it and is a spread. It proper kripples him some days.

Get a ritmo, train some lads and run around sorting the jobs and have a house to do up in between the jobs
I am terrible, once I start a house, I ignore all but the nicest jobs, do you find it hard to get decent hard working happy staff, I get sickened of the constant bitching

When we find someone we pay them well and try to keep them working. Our core team is family bar one so there is pleanty of bitching

The rest are put on a meterage rate as part of a crew that has at least one of us in it. Rates are ok and every one stands to make good money if they put on a tge required amount. If they do more they earn more, if they do less they earn less.

Tried day rates and people get lazy. Even family members!

I pay well enough I think, 150 for trowel monkey, 90 for mix monkey. My plas monkey had 49k earnings gross last yr, still bitches,

About same as us - We pay ourselves that as well. Profits plowed back in, on machines and training. Im hoping to come out the resession stronger then we went in.

About same as us - We pay ourselves that as well. Profits plowed back in, on machines and training. Im hoping to come out the resession stronger then we went in.
Yes I hope you do too, I like to see people making an effort and putting the time and money in to that, I always found it difficult to keep up with the work I had, used to work six hard days every week, turned 250k a year in the prime yrs,with the down turn and my interest levels dropping it is less , never really knew what profit I made, it just went in and out, get yourself into a bit of property if you are not already, there is money in this game still and plenty of work but more searching required, good teams will always be needed ,always recommended , your name is everything.

wouldnt worry about being an approved installer if its for your own house because..... has nobody told you ? if there is a warranty issue its always the fault of the installer not the manufacturer so you will be footing the bill yourself unwritten rule that amongst manufacturers:RpS_lol:

You dont have to be approved to use St astier lime or mastercrete cement or rugby cement or gyproc coving or casting plaster or anything else to do with plastering. Why wetherby and k-rend think theyre so different is beyond me. From listening to people on the forum, the funds are still yet to be released to councils etc, i hope they have manufactured **** loads of the stuff and it reaches its shelf life before funds do get released, i bet they will soon start selling to joe public and offering a guarantee.

You don't have to be approved to use parex John that's why we use it lol

This one of the reasons I'm going to use the Parex system on my own place. The other reason is that they're not interested in either supplying or telling me which insulation slabs I must use which suits me as I can get them at a good price elsewhere.
Having spoken to their tech guy I'm confident of being able to do this to a good standard even though it'll be my first go, although I will have some questions to ask on here for sure.

Sounds good, what insulation slabs would you recommend for a solid 1930s house, i must get in contact with a parex rep myself

Sounds good, what insulation slabs would you recommend for a solid 1930s house, i must get in contact with a parex rep myself

I'm going to use the Graphite EPS at 90mm onto my solid nine inch brickwork and 70mm onto the 215mm blockwork. Some of the more experienced lads may know better but it seems the best compromise between performance and cost.

Get your cavity filled if it isn't already by grant through your energy supplier. Then insulate yoyrself using 80mm graphite board and the Parex system on that. You'll have an excellent uvalue, no draft. Have done it to mine and it's unbelievable the difference.
Quiet, comfortable and a very linear temperature curve....as in not drop like a stone once the heatings off or roast in full day sun.

Ahh right when I see semi I see cavity. Well rest assured after you do the work it'll be solid like an old house and warm like a new one. Shame you don't do the work regularly as you tend to build up a surplus of materials which you can do your own place for next to nothing really. You can't go far wrong with the Parex system, especially with a dash finish

after reading this i thought id have a look around and i found this

National Energy Saving Experts looks ok but when i clicked it a bar popped up from google saying that the the page has been translated from polish :RpS_lol: (this happens when i click on a forign page) whats all that about

when you go on the .gov site there is a search box where you put your post code in to find companies in your area, but how do you know which are good ?

@johniosaif, Hi there, have you gave any more thought on getting around this ridiculous red-tape thats getting in the way of a plasterer rendering his own house? Maybe its worth opening a new thread to conduct a survey asking does anyboby know of an EWI system thats failed and been put right at the manufacturers expense. If knowbody knows of such case then that would strengthen my argument that they are robbing basts creaming £150 a pop, certifying any tom ,dick or harry that turns up for the 1 day course.

If its true what ive been hearing, non plasterers going on the course and being deemed competent to take on such work, then why dont they scrap the course and issue a dvd to the real plasterers who want to use their products and make their product available on the open market.

To all the EWI spreads out there, if I am talking out of turn, then I apologise in advance, my issue is with the manufacturers not the spreads.

If one of my s/cement or s/lime render jobs ever failed, there is no way I could approach mastercrete about their cement or st astier about their lime or even Travis about the sand I got from them, they would all tell me to jog right on, id have to take it on the chin. So is an EWI product warranty really worth the paper its written on after installation? They will always crawl out of it and blame the installer, approved or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the guys applying EWI , do the course, get the ticket and are then taken on with large firms, who probably also bankroll their training. It is these organisations who will take the brunt for the system failure and not the the subby.

The situation where anyone can achieve certification wont change until the EWI Industry achieves a labour balance to complete its programmed targets.

@johniosaif, Hi there, have you gave any more thought on getting around this ridiculous red-tape thats getting in the way of a plasterer rendering his own house? Maybe its worth opening a new thread to conduct a survey asking does anyboby know of an EWI system thats failed and been put right at the manufacturers expense. If knowbody knows of such case then that would strengthen my argument that they are robbing basts creaming £150 a pop, certifying any tom ,dick or harry that turns up for the 1 day course.

If its true what ive been hearing, non plasterers going on the course and being deemed competent to take on such work, then why dont they scrap the course and issue a dvd to the real plasterers who want to use their products and make their product available on the open market.

To all the EWI spreads out there, if I am talking out of turn, then I apologise in advance, my issue is with the manufacturers not the spreads.

If one of my s/cement or s/lime render jobs ever failed, there is no way I could approach mastercrete about their cement or st astier about their lime or even Travis about the sand I got from them, they would all tell me to jog right on, id have to take it on the chin. So is an EWI product warranty really worth the paper its written on after installation? They will always crawl out of it and blame the installer, approved or not!

thing with ewi is that if corners are cut and its installed wrong alot of things can go wrong but if done right it really works well and is a great system hence why they will stand by (warrant) a properly done job as opposed one that has been done without knowledge - now in the case that the installer has had training and fits it wrong and it fails just means there is an excuse for the manufacturer to point at as to why it failed and that its not the product thats rubbish "we told him how to fit it, but he didnt fit it that way" covers them. like I say alot can go wrong with EWI if done wrong so its just to make the case clear that the products dont get a bad name because most failures are actually down to poor installation, yes sad but true.

the difference with traditional is that it can only really look bad if done by a cowboy of course with some exception but generally there are less technicalities with traditional system and a bad job wont always mean the end of the world for the actual building/structure or subsequent works.

Last edited:
Make sure any water wont go behind system, all gaps between boardin are filled in with expanding foam, pins not stickin out or hammered in to much, any lips on boards needs rasping back, scrim is overlaped atleast 100mm, stress pads every corner every opening, dash it then. Parex is good powder. Its holds spar as no one else on market only thing is these 30kg bags are a bit to heavy:)

Make sure any water wont go behind system, all gaps between boardin are filled in with expanding foam, pins not stickin out or hammered in to much, any lips on boards needs rasping back, scrim is overlaped atleast 100mm, stress pads every corner every opening, dash it then. Parex is good powder. Its holds spar as no one else on market only thing is these 30kg bags are a bit to heavy:)

you dashing onto parex maite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.