Every days a school day as the aul saying goes.

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
Been called out to price a few jobs in this house. Paint all outside, garage, stone fireplace, some skimming, new shower try and install a few more spotlights in the ceiling in kitchen and 2 above the fireplace in the living room. Im wanting to know, is there anyway around installing new spots without disturbing the existing ceiling to much. Im thinking no! If there werent any noggings in the way, maybe one could drill out the holes and feed the cable to each hole, then connect up to the existing spots however if there are noggings above the plasterboard and joist, the only way to do it is from above the plasterboard which in this case is a no-no because theres a finished room up there with timber floor etc.. So, IMO, the only way around this is for to cut out the plasterboard in sections, re-patch with new plasterboard then skim ceiling. This is what i would normally do but thought id ask here just incase theres something out there that i dont know off thatll do it with all that f**k**g about

Been called out to price a few jobs in this house. Paint all outside, garage, stone fireplace, some skimming, new shower try and install a few more spotlights in the ceiling in kitchen and 2 above the fireplace in the living room. Im wanting to know, is there anyway around installing new spots without disturbing the existing ceiling to much. Im thinking no! If there werent any noggings in the way, maybe one could drill out the holes and feed the cable to each hole, then connect up to the existing spots however if there are noggings above the plasterboard and joist, the only way to do it is from above the plasterboard which in this case is a no-no because theres a finished room up there with timber floor etc.. So, IMO, the only way around this is for to cut out the plasterboard in sections, re-patch with new plasterboard then skim ceiling. This is what i would normally do but thought id ask here just incase theres something out there that i dont know off thatll do it with all that f**k**g about
Noggings not always the same size like your joists, so you might be get away with running one side then you just have to butcher through to get to the other one. Get a cheap inspection camera have a look in the void

When you cut out use the circular cutter that you use for the spotlights and keep the pieces much easier to put back in & patch than when sawed or hammered in between cables!

Obviously if its an old lat & lathe ceiling will need to be under boarded anyway!

35 grand....hows that sound.

IMO I would cut holes using a drill and a hole saw. Run all your cables etc then put the holes back using small battons to bridge the gap I've created I n the ceiling and re-screwing the cut out back. Then fingers crossed a couple of easy fills should sort it. Use a big enough hole saw so u can just about get ur arm up there to feel around. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ps... cut ur holes close to the nothings then grab a spade bit and u can feed the cables through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take existing fitting out
Use some cable draw rods through the fitting hole ,
So you know you can get your wire from a2b
Jobs a good un

Skimmed a living room couple of months ago and when he was paying me asked if I knew a spark to put in spotlights in his newly plastered ceiling lol got my mate to do it and I went back few days later and stuck some filler in the bits he'd cut out.

I'd be getting an electrician to do it either way , a bit of patching wouldn't be the end of the world

I'd be getting an electrician to do it either way , a bit of patching wouldn't be the end of the world

The electrician I use is away for the wknd. Was going to ask him when he's back. I'm just pricing it up and was wondering if there's another method.

If I have to do that I cut a slice for each row of DLs across the room 100 mm wide at 90 degrees to the joists 100 mm to one side of the DL centres. Wide enough to get a drill in to run the cables trough the joists, room for access to clip cables and easy to access the DL positions. You often find in older houses that you can see where the joists have been drilled previously and use/share the holes to run the cables. Plasterer can then cut 100 mm strips of board and fix to the joists, or board strips and packers to get it sitting right for lath and plaster.

As for running cables under joists, aside from being a bodging fcuker, you'd be liable if anyone gets a belt. Someone goes in with the "just overboard it" and shoves a screw through the cable, someone adds a pendent fitting, batten fitting, brackets for track lights etc.