even colour of finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

Hi
can anyone tell me how to achieve a consistent dry colour finish when skimming. Although my work is flat and good-when it dries it varies in colour over the work surface which takes away from the final look of the job.
Been using multi finish on hard interior walls-after the 1st levelling coat i apply the final flat coat when the first has started to set and polish up but when it dries it doesnt have that pleasing even colour I've seen on site.
any tips ? cheers ::)

Doesn't really make any difference mate if it's ok when painted. Try to cut down the amount of water you use when wet trowelling (I use fine spray bottle) as this is the main reason you get different shades.

Always looks better when it's been left for a week or so and is completely dry. I don't do site work mate, but should imagine they don't always use multi on boards.

I really wouldn't worry about it as long as your finish is flat and smooth ;)

Doesn't really make any difference mate if it's ok when painted. Try to cut down the amount of water you use when wet trowelling (I use fine spray bottle) as this is the main reason you get different shades.

Always looks better when it's been left for a week or so and is completely dry. I don't do site work mate, but should imagine they don't always use multi on boards.

I really wouldn't worry about it as long as your finish is flat and smooth ;)
ur right fella- went back today and its looking more even so guess its just different soaking levels on the original plaster underneath affecting it.thanks for the info on using a spray bottle- will try that out

i think its down to the amount of plaster applied.......
you want to apply 4-5mm for first coat then 2mm for second to get the best finish on re-skim.
then you'll get that consistent finish.

i think its down to the amount of plaster applied.......
you want to apply 4-5mm for first coat then 2mm for second to get the best finish on re-skim.
then you'll get that consistent finish.
yeah-thats how i do the 2 coats fella- just such old and dry walls sucking up the water in the new plaster- someones suggested wickes bonder..u ver use it?

as long as its flat dont worry if its not all one perfect colour
i agree .... it doesn't stay that nice pink colour for long ;) i know a lad who had a customer actually ring him and say ......................it's all gone wrong.................why whats the matter .................it's all going different colurs ;D

as long as its flat dont worry if its not all one perfect colour
i agree .... it doesn't stay that nice pink colour for long  ;) i know a lad who had a customer actually ring him and say ......................it's all gone wrong.................why whats the matter .................it's all going different colurs  ;D

i have known that too ;D

Did a block wall in an extesnion. Hardwall and skim with Thistle multi.
End of the day the woman sez
"When does it turn white?"
"When you paint it love" I said.
::)

Status
Not open for further replies.