Entirely new to plastering, want some questions answered please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackgoudie

hi,
i am 16 and maybe looking down the plastering route in life, starting a business and all but i am wondering,
how do you learn? what is the best way to learn and is it actually worth learning?
is it possible to learn through tagging along for free with a plasterer and picking up what they say for a year or two? asking questions all along the way or must you enroll on one of these plastering courses? i really do not know where i could start at the moment, but i would be willing to tag along and do the shitty jobs like mixing plaster, making tea etc.. just need to know them few things

thanks

TBH dont do a course Ive had a few lads work with me that have done these and they have been completly hopeless, the best way is to get a job as a lab (if you can) and show willing and perseverance that way you will know for sure if plastering is for you. Good luck.

i know for sure that i am willing to listen to every bit of detail about plastering, and learn anything that i need to, i really just need advice. So you do not think that it would be a good idea to do a 2 week course on plastering?

No mate it will cost you money out of your pocket, just do 2 weeks free labour, much more practical with the right spread and you have not spent your dosh.

live in kent, just looking for some work so i can learn from the experience. Even if its mixing plaster and all that, willing to do it for free too as long as i can ask questions and gain knowledge.

You can't learn to plaster in 2 weeks mate.
As said above get in with a local plasterer/plastering firm & start from there.
Have a look online yell.com etc & phone/email/post letters to all the companies you can find in your area there's bound to be one that will take you on.
Save your money where the course is concerned :RpS_thumbup:
You could enroll at a college if you want your qualifications while you are working at a firm.
Good luck.

welcome to the forum marra......and good luck getting a start somewhere youngin.............:RpS_thumbup:

Jack you will never be a plasterer mate

for once i agree with spunky,the problem i see straight away jack is your attitude,nothing shitty as you put it about mixing plaster or making tea,i think you would upset a few labourers /plasterers with those comments, improve your attitude dont even think about starting a buisness until you get some experience in plastering/labouring/life,the only positive thing i read from your thread is you seem keen,so take a step at a time watch,listen,learn, get experience but plasterers labourers can be a touchy lot so dont speak down to them ,you can learn from them also,everybody on this forum have all done the shitty jobs as you put it

Trust me Jack ,mixing plaster is a shitty job ,but what i read is your willing to give your time for free to learn the trade ,be it tea or mixing ,that to me says alot ,i bet there are not many plasterers on here that said that at 16

try and get on with a contractor that uses machines fella its defo the way forward.try to keep well away from the intensive courses,a good plasterer will wa
nt to pass on his skills all the best to you and all the best for you future!

Status
Not open for further replies.