Employing casual labour.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

How door you go about it legally? I could do with someone to help out but only a few days per month. Had a look online but lots of conflicting info and everything I've read says the building industry is a bit of a nightmare for casual labour. Any help gratefully accepted!

How door you go about it legally? I could do with someone to help out but only a few days per month. Had a look online but lots of conflicting info and everything I've read says the building industry is a bit of a nightmare for casual labour. Any help gratefully accepted!
You just have to put them through cis if self employed or put them on paye on a 0 hour contract

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Shouldn't they be self declaring like an independent contractor of something. Interesting this in how to do it the right way

Shouldn't they be self declaring like an independent contractor of something. Interesting this in how to do it the right way
I think as soon as its construction related you have to put them through cis

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ffs even getting a labo in is ball ache they should be able to self declare more work than it can be worth

Reactions: Pug
Ffs even getting a labo in is ball ache they should be able to self declare more work than it can be worth

Exactly. It's tricky. My lab is a family member who has a couple of other cash in hand jobs. Doesn't claim any benefits but I worry that, at some point, the taxman will want to know what they're living on.... I've never been one for avoiding or evading tax so I'd like it to be above board, but for the sake of a max of £200 a month it hardly seems worth it.

If you only have them on very rare occasions pay them in full as you don't need to stop tax, but if you're paying them regularly you must stop t 20% if cis or 30% if not , but when I say rare occasions I don't mean working one day a week, that's what my accountant told me but I personally think it's to risky to pee around and open up a hornets nest so I stick to cis.
If on domestics get the customers to pay them direct

I don't bother with all that deduction b*ll***s anymore. I have a couple of mates that probably give me a lift for 3 or 4 weeks a year each. I just pay them in full and they give me an invoice for the full amount as if they'd invoiced a private customer. They are both registered for CIS but as far as I'm concerned they'll be declaring it so can pay the tax on their self assessment at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't bother with all that deduction b*ll***s anymore. I have a couple of mates that probably give me a lift for 3 or 4 weeks a year each. I just pay them in full and they give me an invoice for the full amount as if they'd invoiced a private customer. They are both registered for CIS but as far as I'm concerned they'll be declaring it so can pay the tax on their self assessment at the end of the year.

Is your accountant agrees with that solution?

I thought if you did as tony said it's ok..
If the dude gives you invoice what's the problem.less hassle for everyone.

it would be less hassle thats for sure, I always get 20% stopped when subbing for someone
Is one way to do it but don't think the old invoice and pay and they do there own books is illegal zolco if it's as casual labour..going to phone me accountant and check now

Thought there was an accountant type dude on here a few weeks ago or might of been insurance...he gave an introduction can't remember
@Danny

Is one way to do it but don't think the old invoice and pay and they do there own books is illegal zolco if it's as casual labour..going to phone me accountant and check now
I`m far from saying illegal, but whenever i graft for a builder or other spread if i wouldn`t have registered for cis they would stop 30% instead of 20%, none of them would pay full whack

I expect that the HMRC would frown on the way I do things because they are having to wait for the tax until the end of the financial year, instead of getting it on payment of the invoice. They'd probably give me a warning about non compliance because that's not the way it's supposed to be done. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not doing their f**k**g job for them unpaid.

It's legal to do that Tony only if it's irregular work, but if you had 1 day a week for 10 weeks that is different so I am told.
@Pug as your domestic the cis thing would probably be a pain in the butt
@zolco builders would be classed as contractors, and would be more hassle then it's worth, once you are set up as a contractor it's just as easy to stop the tax and have hassle free books

It's legal to do that Tony only if it's irregular work, but if you had 1 day a week for 10 weeks that is different so I am told.
@Pug as your domestic the cis thing would probably be a pain in the butt
@zolco builders would be classed as contractors, and would be more hassle then it's worth, once you are set up as a contractor it's just as easy to stop the tax and have hassle free books
Who told you it's different bud..accountant?
I not arguing just interested.
1 day say 8 hours in one week?
Surely that is ok casual work invoice

Who told you it's different bud..accountant?
I not arguing just interested.
1 day say 8 hours in one week?
Surely that is ok casual work invoice
Yes my accountant, but I don't bother it's better for me just to stop the tax. If your doing 8 hours a week most weeks it more like a contract, but say 3 days on the bounce a nothing for a couple of months is ok that's what I was told anyhow

Pug I think who ever suggested customer pays them direct would be good for your helper it's all just more time consuming paper head recking crap to be honest this is why I work alone I mean there are guys on here who say they sub out 3/4 guys etc and and they got all the work in the world and for what? How much more money? In my head not alot more than a good spread can earn anyway
Just ball ache paperwork time consuming crap worried about bills worries about jobs to keep everyone going so you are not losing..and the government bangs on about training up apprenticeships that are even more stress..

Sorry went off on one there lads
What's the thread about?

I've always worked alone for the same reasons @theplasterman. But my health isn't what it was. Most of my work is a less than 20m set then feck off home but on the odd occasion I've got a full room or extension, having someone to run back and forth to the van and clean up makes a big difference to how shagged out I am at the end of the day.

Cheers for all the input though lads

When I was a subbie I had a gross payment ticket(715 for the guys that remember that!!)
It helps you manage your money better as the tax is in your account not anyone else's
This way the tax gets deducted once

Anyone that uses subbies or employees is basically an unpaid tax man. They're cutting even more HMRC staff soon so expect more work no doubt. Make any mistakes in your unpaid work though and expect an instant £100 fine :muyenojado:

Status
Not open for further replies.