Eml

Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

hi Guys

Need help and to pick your brains about a wall.

How would you guys go about wiring a stone wall?? Or would you bed mesh into a scratch coat? I've been trying to get the fixings in but the stones keep cracking and can't get secure fixings.

It's old stone and the plan was to eml it to secure it abit as dot and dabbing isn't possible with how uneven it goes at the top.

Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 335
Have you tried plugging and screwing?

We have used these like pop rivet nail things in the past... you drill a 6mm hole and then bang them in....

Tha Ms for replies - That's what I'm using at the moment but as I'm drilling in the stones are crumbling and cracking and a little worried how secure its going to be and also where they are quite uneven there is quite abit of flex in the mesh where some stones aren't as proud as others.

How about putting a key with a grinder then using some render fibre mesh imbedded in the scratch... Could even try and get some insulation fixings in as you go, even if it's just a few, there bound to bit a couple of times?

Thanks for replies. No there's no paint, just a very old wall.

What suppliers do you guys use for the fibre render mesh?

May have to repoint some of the wall before doing the scratch coat of I'm guna go down that route. Nice little challenge this one.

Just getting the first eml sheet on and seeing how strong it is but it's taking forever!

I'd key with a grinder and leave the joints this will provide a key aswell.
Rend aid and embed the mesh then another tight coat.
It will be a bit messy if the stone works out but I'd choose that over eml, hate the stuff!

I buy weber mesh from minsters or CCF.

Pay about 55-60 for roll of mesh and around 15 a bag for rend aid.
Includes vat.

You can get mesh cheaper but I don't like it personally as I find it to flimsy.
You know what crap scrim is like? Imagine that on a 1m wide roll!! Nightmare.

I know r and j hardware sell the cheaper stuff if you want a go that route though.

K-rend do a base coat for damaged/painted backgrounds called hp12 that applied with a good quality mesh you wouldn't need fixings

see I said there would be better replies than mine :) Nice one chaps :)

Sure more will be along to enhance the responses :)

Whats wrong with dabbing like ? Strips of board along the bottom part first ? Cant see how floating it will save much space if you are plumbing up etc ?

This is great cheers lads! I originally thought dot and dab but down where the stairs are it won't work and they want it all over place to keep the character of the room - which is lucky as my render is wavy anyway haha!!
Think I'm going down the road of rend aid and mesh in the scratch.

This is when this forum is great so many ideas for one end result and to bounce ideas round. Cheers again!

Pva then bonding with mesh in it.
That's if you plan to skim it.
I would prefer bonding on an internal crumbly wall like that, as it is lighter in weight.
Or even hardwall if you prefer.
Both are a cheaper option.

Pva then bonding with mesh in it.
That's if you plan to skim it.
I would prefer bonding on an internal crumbly wall like that, as it is lighter in weight.
Or even hardwall if you prefer.
Both are a cheaper option.

Yeah it is going to be skimmed. Didn't think of using bonding with it. Now that's another option to think about!!
Have you used bonding over an old wall like that before?

If it's s solid wall than I wouldn't go down that route.
Imagine the moisture that's soaked in over the years, it wot take long to show on the finish.
Gypsum is like a sponge with water as you all know!

i would use fibre mesh as above, but if you want to use eml and can get a couple of nails as temp fixings in the joints you can fix eml on blobs of fischer resin.

Good ideas to choose from, I will add only normal hammer fixings with washers will do great job for the eml

Status
Not open for further replies.