Electric switch covered in plaster, now light doesn't turn off

madmax86

Plasterer has been in this week and after leaving today, he left the light on in the room. I went to the room to turn the light off and saw the switch in this state

switch.png

Not only are the wires completely covered in plaster, the switch didn't turn the light off (the wiring has been compromised) so I had to remove the bulb instead to turn the light off. Also worth mentioning that he did trip the fuse several times when working near this switch.

He's back tomorrow to finish off the room. Do I point this out and expect him to clean it up before he's finished the job or is this considered normal in plastering and let the electrician sort it out? I am guessing the former but interested to hear from some more experienced on reasonable next steps.

Plasterer has been in this week and after leaving today, he left the light on in the room. I went to the room to turn the light off and saw the switch in this state

View attachment 74029
Not only are the wires completely covered in plaster, the switch didn't turn the light off (the wiring has been compromised) so I had to remove the bulb instead to turn the light off. Also worth mentioning that he did trip the fuse several times when working near this switch.

He's back tomorrow to finish off the room. Do I point this out and expect him to clean it up before he's finished the job or is this considered normal in plastering and let the electrician sort it out? I am guessing the former but interested to hear from some more experienced on reasonable next steps.
They wanted putting in block connectors or wagos and taping up . As said below that mass of splodging shite is the least of your worries

View attachment 74029

You should of bagged them up for him!

All that plaster needs cleaning off the switch. Turn the power off at the mains first. The wet plaster is keeping the connection on.

personally I cover socket and switch plates with a sandwich bag and put an elastic band around it,and then skim around it all with some due care and attention on site is another story f**k you sparky your getting it today

He came back today and removed the plaster, all working fine now.

Reason it wasn't taped off is because there would have been no light source. In hind sight, should have bagged up as mentioned above. Lesson learnt.

As for the comments regarding that's the least of my worries, you are spot on. Not happy with the finish.

Few things.. he's only used one coat of skim so some parts are still rough, he hasn't skimmed up to the door linings so they're not flush, he's left parts where he thinks the architraves will go... a bit of a s**t show all round

View attachment 74029

Where did you find him mate ?

Reason it wasn't taped off is because there would have been no light source. In hind sight, should have bagged up as mentioned above. Lesson learnt.

As for the comments regarding that's the least of my worries, you are spot on. Not happy with the finish.

Few things.. he's only used one coat of skim so some parts are still rough, he hasn't skimmed up to the door linings so they're not flush, he's left parts where he thinks the architraves will go... a bit of a s**t show all round
You will need plenty of filler then :-\

Where did you find him mate ?
Checkatrade, although the guy who did the actual plastering wasn't the guy who I thought I was using (with the good reviews). Seems he's got his mate to do the job. I found out on the morning of the job that the main guy couldn't make it so sending another plasterer he works with.

To be fair to him, he has actually done a good job on some of the walls, just some bits I feel he has rushed. I will try and get some pics tomorrow

Out of interest.. how long should it take to skim 2 rooms (3x4m each) including ceilings?

He has single-handedly done both rooms in 2 days which I feel is crazy.

It looks shite now.wait till you paint it . More photos please. Tell the main guy if it isn't right you will contact checkatrade. It's his mess not the plank he employed.

So how do you know he only one coated?
Was you watching him or did he tell you that?

So how do you know he only one coated?
Was you watching him or did he tell you that?
It's obvious when looking at it. Very faint in some areas where almost transparent. Also my door linings protrude out by 2mm. After skimming, they still protrude so skim is probably 1mm if that.

He also confirmed after he uses 1 coat

Also the reason he left the bits next to the door frames unskimmed is because he said they are very difficult to skim plus they will be covered by architraves...

Based on my architraves being 75mm, as indicated here, you can see I'll still be left with the wall on show.

2023-03-30 10.15.01.jpg

Someone has put plaster on your walls but no actual plastering has been done. You will have to get a plasterer to fix that but you will struggle to find one who is prepared to go through the ball ache of doing it properly.

Also the reason he left the bits next to the door frames unskimmed is because he said they are very difficult to skim plus they will be covered by architraves...

Based on my architraves being 75mm, as indicated here, you can see I'll still be left with the wall on show.

View attachment 74048

Whereabouts are you? Just checking it’s not Chrispy?

Holy fcuk!!!!!! This has gotta be a wind up post????
I really wish it was. I haven't paid him yet but sorting it with the original guy. He's 'reviewing' the pics with the guy who actually did the work so waiting to see what he comes back.

Bear in mind I've posted only the bad bits, the rest of the walls are decent so he's definitely rushed this bit.

Options I'm considering at this stage are either come back and make good these poor walls or I get a quote from another plasterer to make good and deduct that from his quote. Good to know from the comments on this page that it's not just me.