early retirement

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector

so, been skimming out a bungalow, asked the customer what he did for a living , he said he was retired, he is 48 years old, and just to rub it in he has been retired since he was 41, nearly fell off me scaffold totally gutted I was but genuinely pleased for him, had a good business selling bottles of gas to caravans/homes etc then got made an an offer from an outside company ,...who 3 years later went bust, the right spot at the right time,

@hector i bet if you won the big euro lottery tonight you would still carry on plastering,,, youd miss it to much :RpS_lol::RpS_w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some on the forum need to retire, semi suicidal some of them.. I thought I'd be out of it by now but no got caught with the downturn and even more so with the rise in house prices in london

Nothing worse than sitting around doing **** all. Rather be out earning.

I hear a lot of people say that, and I always wonder why they think it has to be one or the other? I could retire tomorrow, never work again and never be bored.

It's not compulsory on retirement to watch daytime TV to fill in the time whilst waiting to see if meals on wheels arrive before the grim reaper!

No but to do things costs money and unless you've got a mattress stuffed with cash doing things day in day out would Costs a pretty penny

A pal of mine retired at 49 (would of been 39 if not for an expensive divorce) after selling his business to a bigger company and part of the deal was he stayed on for them as a consultant/adviser on a six figure salary. He spent 30 mins sat behind his teak desk in his leather chair on the first day then, walked into the MD's office and said sorry but this is not for me i'm used to working. Funny thing is though he hasn't worked since and he's 63 now :RpS_lol:

You need to keep a reason for getting up in the morning and to keep your mind sharp. Or If you've got a few bob go volunteer with something. Retirement means different things to different fellas I guess.

No but to do things costs money and unless you've got a mattress stuffed with cash doing things day in day out would Costs a pretty penny

Well yeah, but the point was about early retirement. If you take early retirement while you're skint I think it's called being 'unemployed' rather than retired.

To name but a few, I would rebuild the motorbike that's been sat in the unit for a couple of years, have time to ride the one that's on the road, tinker about making/fixing things, sort the garden out properly rather than just mow it, learn a language, catch up on books, maybe sell some stuff on ebay to fund buying other stuff from ebay, play chess online, etc. etc. etc. basically all the stuff I'd like to do now but haven't got the time.

I don't mean to be deliberately offensive to anyone, but people who are bored when they retire, or think they won't have anything to do when they retire, are people with no imagination.

You need to keep a reason for getting up in the morning and to keep your mind sharp. Or If you've got a few bob go volunteer with something. Retirement means different things to different fellas I guess.

owls is quite right, got to keep the mind active ,hobby/reading/voluntary work etc, but once you sit in front of the tv all day that's when the trouble startrs

I will retire when i can't move any more or dead
Should have got a pension a few decades ago... oh I still don't have one bugger lol

Hector I'll never retire 3 kids interest only mortgage big loans etc hang in there and don't kill yourself mate there's a lot of other people in the same boat!

Hi john , how did the rise in prices affect you , my plans were wiped out by the drop in house prices here

Irish Fine Art Plasterwork | Irish Fine Art Plasterwork
I used to buy the run down 300 k ish houses,mid terrace 1930s ,Victorian types ,but from 2013 to now they rose 80k to 100k ,so I couldnt get a feel for what to buy and the worry that profit was not going to be in it.
the sensible way is to have 20/percent profit including buying,renovating costs, otherwise it's too risky, looked at one recently, needed tonnes of work100k ish to make it nice loft ,side extension etc,maybe 60 to do as is, it sold for 429k this even though a finished house was for sale for 475k, so it's fn crazy..when the next downturn comes people will suffer heavily like ireland did, people in mid thirties are barely coping as it is,when rates go up,God only knows

Last edited:
I knew a couple of old boys, worked their nuts off all their life, by time they retired they were dead within couple of years, as long as your bodies up to it keep goin as long as you can!

I will retire when i can't move any more or dead
Should have got a pension a few decades ago... oh I still don't have one bugger lol

you do need to get an extra pension of some type for your retirement.i have an art collection that i shall sell off on my retirement. my state pension is just over £400 per month which i leave in the bank to pay for a few weeks in tenerife each year. but no one could live to a decent standard on that.

Most of my ex"s would be over moon if I dropped down dead so il stay alive just to piss them off ha!
my problem is I've lived a millionaire lifestyle without the money now having to work ma ass off to try and have sommat when I retire (I would do it all the same again never learn :RpS_cursing:

Knew a sparks who sold his flat for £100 k ,went to the south of France for two years and drank it, back working now,lives above a pub,bounces weekends..good on ya Nick..

I used to buy the run down 300 k ish houses,mid terrace 1930s ,Victorian types ,but from 2013 to now they rose 80k to 100k ,so I couldnt get a feel for what to buy and the worry that profit was not going to be in it.
the sensible way is to have 20/percent profit including buying,renovating costs, otherwise it's too risky, looked at one recently, needed tonnes of work100k ish to make it nice loft ,side extension etc,maybe 60 to do as is, it sold for 429k this even though a finished house was for sale for 475k, so it's fn crazy..when the next downturn comes people will suffer heavily like ireland did, people in mid thirties are barely coping as it is,when rates go up,God only knows

Cheers john, at least you had the sense to hold off, as you know things here went crazy , banks throwing money at people, interest only , all of a sudden everyone was a developer,
A lot of good people are in big trouble, all walks of life , tradesmen , professional's , even boy bands

Irish Fine Art Plasterwork | Irish Fine Art Plasterwork

Status
Not open for further replies.