Drying Out - How Long?

Love the customers face when they ask me how long until they can paint

‘A month’

Whaaaaaa was hoping to paint this weekend.

Half inch browning 4mm skim. Takes time. Dry on top wet underneath. Just let the f**k**g thing dry on its own
Browning! Haven’t seen a bag of that for ages. Nowhere here sells it any more

Lurpy with no windows and only 1.5 doors (fire escape). That possibly 30 gallon ??? of water has to go somewhere. It is totally timber construction. Although lined with membranes it is still panic stations especially when snow is blowing through door and it goes down to about -6.

It looks ok anyway so far.
Use that no nonsense bare plaster paint from screwfix. Lurpak recommended it to me. I think it's the bollox. Bonds really well. Tried sticking duct tape to it next day to see if would lift paint. Nudda
No more pissy watered down crap for me.

No Steve is +4 degrees tonight. The past 3 have been down to -6 and everything solid ice. Thats why I bought these heaters and put the dehumidifiers on. The first room done last Monday didnt have any sign of drying at all until I put them on Wednesday night and it just got colder then. Slowly dried out since Thursday.

Everything off now though.

Don't switch it off or you'll be a sorry sarnie maker.

Fcuk I'm going to get drunk tonight...there's nothing like an inch of fifties to brighten up your day.

Boards all skimmed finished Thursday night. Heat has been on since Wednesday because of cold weather. Dehumidifiers on all time.

Just slight damp patches now in corners of rooms. I would say 99% dried out. (To look at).

But when going in room there is that humid feel/smell so obviously moisture there still in boards or timber floor.

Was thinking of knocking electric heaters off tonight as a lot warmer here and just leave dehumidifiers on.

Should I leave heat on as well? How much longer for dehumidifiers and possible electric heaters?
What’s the rush too get it dry ??

@John j very recently did my full house. did a fantastic job. i kept windows open and a gas blower heater (large one) perfect drying. not a single crack appeared. and everything has been painted. he finished job i think 1.5 week ago. the heater wasn't on every single day though. the temp was also freezing during his time plastering.

@John j very recently did my full house. did a fantastic job. i kept windows open and a gas blower heater (large one) perfect drying. not a single crack appeared. and everything has been painted. he finished job i think 1.5 week ago. the heater wasn't on every single day though. the temp was also freezing during his time plastering.
After that first couple of lines I just didn't believe a single word you said.

Use that no nonsense bare plaster paint from screwfix. Lurpak recommended it to me. I think it's the bollox. Bonds really well. Tried sticking duct tape to it next day to see if would lift paint. Nudda
Actually I have no need to paint as yet because the colour of plaster dry is the colour it was going to be painted...........a medium to light grey. So another job less to do.

i can comment on that stuff too, used 50l in my house. only required 1 coat literally over all fresh plaster.
16.99 for 10l but worth it.

not sure on the term "solid" but it does leave a very clean matt white finish.
i will be uploading some pictures shortly on my original thread.

As in does it require any more coats if you were just leaving it white?

It's dehumidifiers that are more likely to cause cracking than gentle heat IMO.
More like heat will make it crack,not dehumidifier.heat will make what damp wood that’s in there twist shrink all sorts of shizer then will make the thistle crack

More like heat will make it crack,not dehumidifier.heat will make what damp wood that’s in there twist shrink all sorts of shizer then will make the thistle crack

Can you stop please. You board donkey.

Dehumidifier interferes with the natural drying process far more than gentle heat. The water goes in. The water comes out. Dehumidifier pulls the water out too fast, weakening the structural integrity of the plaster thus more likely to crack.

The best thing to do is open a window irrespective of the time of year. Air flow.

Aint that right @essexandy?

Does it leave a solid white finish?
First coat practically blocks it out. Second almost solid. Using different paint on third coat but pretty sure that's gonna be last coat. But the main benefit is how well I found it bonded to plaster. And none of that shity spray you get from watered down mist coat.

First coat practically blocks it out. Second almost solid. Using different paint on third coat but pretty sure that's gonna be last coat. But the main benefit is how well I found it bonded to plaster. And none of that shity spray you get from watered down mist coat.

I’ve recommended it to a few customers and they’ve all been amazed by it

It's nearly 139 cubic meters. I have 3 x 3 bar 1200 watt electric radiant heaters. So thats 3600 watts or 3.6 kw.

They were not all on. Only about half (1.8kw). Very gentle with 2 x 16l dehumidifiers. I dont know how much water he put into the place. 16 x 25kg of skimcoats worth any way plus snow plus mud.

The timber is protected by a 500gauge membrane except for floor which is osb3 t&g. Thats where the water went i reckon. I reckon is sucked it up like a sponge.

Dehumidifiers only took out about 25 litres.

It looks ok. I cant see any cracks and sunny day today so door open until 10 mins ago.

Can you stop please. You board donkey.

Dehumidifier interferes with the natural drying process far more than gentle heat. The water goes in. The water comes out. Dehumidifier pulls the water out too fast, weakening the structural integrity of the plaster thus more likely to crack.

The best thing to do is open a window irrespective of the time of year. Air flow.

Aint that right @essexandy?
It’s a timber frame building u dummy heat will make it crack cause it will twist up the wet wood,u f**k**g clown.ive skimmed a shite load of timber frames and whatever u do they always crack ,wrong climate/country stick to the skim over artex section u twaat

It’s a timber frame building u dummy heat will make it crack cause it will twist up the wet wood,u f**k**g clown.ive skimmed a shite load of timber frames and whatever u do they always crack ,wrong climate/country stick to the skim over artex section u twaat
Now now ladies.

This timber cannot twist it has been there 3 or 4 years now and dry.

It is covered by 18mm osb floor walls and ceiling and the plasterboard is screwed to the osb so if timber did move. Then the osb would take up any movement and plasterboard will not crack.

There is no other timber frame built as well as this anywhere.............cus I did it. And I am s**t hot.............And you couldnt afford me to do same for you....................Thats how good it is.

Bullshit. My first house was timber frame no cracks

Bullshit. My first house was timber frame no cracks
A lot of 'ifs' Lurpy.

If wood is dry and never got wet.............If it was fixed properly..................If it had already settled in warm weather before boards put on...................If boards on properly............If insulated properly..............If no direct hot surfaces..................Then you are lucky.

It's nearly 139 cubic meters. I have 3 x 3 bar 1200 watt electric radiant heaters. So thats 3600 watts or 3.6 kw.

They were not all on. Only about half (1.8kw). Very gentle with 2 x 16l dehumidifiers. I dont know how much water he put into the place. 16 x 25kg of skimcoats worth any way plus snow plus mud.

The timber is protected by a 500gauge membrane except for floor which is osb3 t&g. Thats where the water went i reckon. I reckon is sucked it up like a sponge.

Dehumidifiers only took out about 25 litres.

It looks ok. I cant see any cracks and sunny day today so door open until 10 mins ago.

You'll be a sorry sarnie maker.

A lot of 'ifs' Lurpy.

If wood is dry and never got wet.............If it was fixed properly..................If it had already settled in warm weather before boards put on...................If boards on properly............If insulated properly..............If no direct hot surfaces..................Then you are lucky.

iF you know what your doing your work won’t crack. Got an old timber house threw up in 70’s with popcorn ceilings, screw the boards back in as they were tacked. Re scrim joists. Skim. Not rocket science