Drunk driving

Members online

100% not Jamie, I just got a personal dislike to drink-driving, my eldest lad got run over crossing the road and over the years I’ve been to many rehabilitation clinics for traumatic brain injuries and I support groups and bumped into victims of drink-driving.
Suppose you see in a different light when it’s personal.

Last year I was driving a mate around who lost his license... I got paid a days money to drive him about and what not. His insurance did not go up much at all which is surprising and the cost did then get offset.

Personally I don't think there is any valid excuse, I have taken keys off people in the pub and got in a few scuffles over it. I have even paid for peoples taxi home or driven them home and then picked them back up the next day to get their cars/vans etc.

However.... Drug driving is something that worries me a lot, I see it more often and it baffles me as to why you would do it.

Last year I was driving a mate around who lost his license... I got paid a days money to drive him about and what not. His insurance did not go up much at all which is surprising and the cost did then get offset.

Personally I don't think there is any valid excuse, I have taken keys off people in the pub and got in a few scuffles over it. I have even paid for peoples taxi home or driven them home and then picked them back up the next day to get their cars/vans etc.

However.... Drug driving is something that worries me a lot, I see it more often and it baffles me as to why you would do it.
It's because big time pot heads don't consider themselves impaired and the public are completely uneducated in the way that they are wrt drink.

I seem to remember drink driving only started becoming a big deal in the 80s.

My best mate died when he decided to drive home drunk, also caused severe injuries to the people in the other car. I was so angry at what he did and how his actions changed so many lives that night but I miss him so much. I now play golf regularly with the firefighter who was on scene that night. We are supposed to learn from our mistakes or others mistakes but unless you have experienced something first hand and dealt with the grieving process people will remain ignorant to just how easy you can lose your life.

I was a child when my brother was taken by a drunk driver it's the one thing that has affected me my whole life , he was my big brother and I miss him every day if people could understand from the victims points of view then I think they could understand. Maybe!
Sorry for your loss bud, it’s so difficult isn’t it? Sometimes I just start crying out the blue it never really gets easier, you just learn to deal with it anyway you can. 2017 was my hardest year as my mum died of cancer in the January then he died just before Xmas that same year! It fucks you up big time.

My lad got caught the other day blew 71 what do you think we're lookin at for that 18months first offence
My lad got caught the other day blew 71 what do you think we're lookin at for that 18months first offence
I would fine him about 5grand 3months community work driving ban for five years. Ther to lenient on drink drivers mobile user and drug driving.no respect for other people on the road!

Christmas is a sad times for me as this is when it happened 2001 , I was you we both was . I think about him all the time now I'm older
People speeding and dangerous overtaking just as bad.
It all depends on the experience of the driver with regards to speeding. When you drunk and behind the wheel all your senses are compromised, total inability to control the car and react to hazards etc. but they are not in the same league.

It all depends on the experience of the driver with regards to speeding. When you drunk and behind the wheel all your senses are compromised, total inability to control the car and react to hazards etc. but they are not in the same league.
Speeding is driving over the speed limit.What are the different levels of experience needed for this?,and how are these skills achieved to put other drivers at risk oh great one please enlighten us.

I would fine him about 5grand 3months community work driving ban for five years. Ther to lenient on drink drivers mobile user and drug driving.no respect for other people on the road!
The bloke is obviously an utter bell end, like his dad if he thinks it funny posting on here whats happened. s**t happens at xnas, yeah right ....sure could of done.

Speeding is driving over the speed limit.What are the different levels of experience needed for this?,and how are these skills achieved to put other drivers at risk oh great one please enlighten us.
Everyone speeds that’s a fact! And yea experience plays a big part of this, as to whether you can control your vehicle. Look at Germany they have no speed limit on their main roads.

Your trying to compare speeding just as bad as drunk driving but it’s no where near the same level.

Everyone speeds that’s a fact! And yea experience plays a big part of this, as to whether you can control your vehicle. Look at Germany they have no speed limit on their main roads.

Your trying to compare speeding just as bad as drunk driving but it’s no where near the same level.
Speed limit is ther to be respected like any other law! you.go over the speed limit and kill or injure some one you face the same punishment as you would get from drink drive using mobile and drug driving.. So ther no different!!!!

Last edited:
Speed limit is ther to be respected like any other law! you.gp over the speed limit and kill or injure some one you face the same punishment as you would get from drink drive using mobile and drug driving.. So ther no different!!!!
People don't relaise one fatal mistake on the road from speeding or mobile kill some one you are looking at 5 10 years!! Rember people have got dash cams. So be careful on the roads if you what see your kids grow up!!

Last edited:
Advanced driving/riding skills and practice - as taught to police and a few other services/bodies. Speed limits are to some extent arbitary and not related to the risk but to politics - look at the growing spread of 20mph zones. There is fck all safety data or cases to support it, despite the cycling lobby and others tyrying to find some.

For some reason the insurance costs for drunk drivers are not that high these days, don't know why. Had 2 drink drive convicted family members, both got reasonable insurance quotes when returning to driving. Thankfully both are now teetotal, so no repeats. No sympathy for them from me either.

Speed limit is ther to be respected like any other law! you.go over the speed limit and kill or injure some one you face the same punishment as you would get from drink drive using mobile and drug driving.. So ther no different!!!!
I’m not saying that Speeding isn’t dangerous of course it is and I’m not the type of person who speeds often, but if you look at the law if your pulled whilst drunk you get the book thrown at ya and if your pulled speeding ( depending on how fast your going) you get a ticket or points on licence so it’s not as harsh.

Advanced driving/riding skills and practice - as taught to police and a few other services/bodies. Speed limits are to some extent arbitary and not related to the risk but to politics - look at the growing spread of 20mph zones. There is fck all safety data or cases to support it, despite the cycling lobby and others tyrying to find some.
Yeah actually agree. (sorry @Nicm)

I tend to drive to the conditions... speed limits in the back of my mind... but I never speed in 20s, 30s, 40s but beyond that I make judgement calls and funnily enough the police do as well.

When I rode with a copper (I did often) he explained that if I did an overtake and I had to speed to get past then as long as I drop back to the limit when it was safe then a copper would do nothing. A danger normally tends to be better behind you than in front.

I have a clean license always have done so I think my ability to read the road and take risk assessments is ok... yes there have been times when I have seen a camera and had that dread but never ridden in away that puts others in danger.

I tend to drive to the conditions... speed limits in the back of my mind... but I never speed in 20s, 30s, 40s but beyond that I make judgement calls and funnily enough the police do as well.

When I rode with a copper (I did often) he explained that if I did an overtake and I had to speed to get past then as long as I drop back to the limit when it was safe then a copper would do nothing. A danger normally tends to be better behind you than in front.

I have a clean license always have done so I think my ability to read the road and take risk assessments is ok... yes there have been times when I have seen a camera and had that dread but never ridden in away that puts others in danger.
Spot on

''When I rode with a copper (I did often)''

Sounds like you have been caught a few times.
How many times have you been arrested by the police?

I’m not saying that Speeding isn’t dangerous of course it is and I’m not the type of person who speeds often, but if you look at the law if your pulled whilst drunk you get the book thrown at ya and if your pulled speeding ( depending on how fast your going) you get a ticket or points on licence so it’s not as harsh.
Yes but if you kill some one by speeding that day they will throw the book at you!! So to me ther no different in it!

shoes pair GIF

Hahah No he we was a retired motorcycle cop. He was also an instructor at the motorcycle school I learnt to ride at. So for a long time after I would go out for breakfast or lunch with him and a few others. He show me how to ride quick and not break a speed limit which is actually quite a lot of fun :D