Dri coat over Gypsum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
Starting a job tomorrow where browning has been hacked off 1mtr high due to flood damage. it has dried out and Ive been asked to float over with dri coat as the customer wants some thing more than hardwall to replace. It does say on the dricoat bag NOT to use over residues of gypsum, however there are 20% residues of gypsum left.

Can i use any thing to seal the residues of gypsum then use dri coat or is this a no go?
Any advice would be appricated

cheers

do the job properly mate 2 x sand and cement render 5 sand 1 cement 1st coat add freeflow... second coat 6 sand 1 cement... top off with multifinish

i thought id use dri coat as i was advised S and C would blow with gypsum underneath.

would a pva seal help before applying dri coat ?????

That's all I use internal works now rocksolid ,that and renderlite I leave it for 48 hours to dry suction over when possible on dpc work.Have you picked anymore work up yet?,

just trying to think bubbles told me about this stuff spunk now what did he tell me?

so why cant you dri coat over gypsum resides then
It holds moisture mate there is only one way that is the right way.

I feel your pain mate I bet it's a right t**t to get off . How high up the wall is the hardwall ?

it a mtr heigh mate

A mtr too heigh

So my options are take off all existing browning and use dri coat

or

wait until the walls completely dry out and use hardwall

I WOULD NT TAKE THE CHANCE WITH A GYPSUM BASED PLASTER NOW THAT ITS HAD BAD WATER DAMAGE oops caps it wont be hard to get off with the right tool and some grease for yer elbows

Ive seen were chasing have been made up around skirting height in old terrace housing with drywall, and after a time it just bubbles the plaster..
If your putting a gun to my head then mix sbr & cement slurry and paint the wall, your call.

do the job properly mate 2 x sand and cement render 5 sand 1 cement 1st coat add freeflow... second coat 6 sand 1 cement... top off with multifinish

eeer no dri coat is better than s/c based render it was designed to 4 the job i acts as a vapour barrier to alow the walls to dry out but stop the passege of water & htdroscopice salts s/c renders dont let walls dry out :-0

i now its going to be a pain but it needs to be done properly i did one not so long back you need to get the walls clean i think the reason why dri coat cant go over gypsum is because the gypsum acts as a barrier & stops the dri coat from doing its job vapour barrier ( get the idea ) :RpS_thumbup:

a vapour barrier stops the passage of airborne moisture e.g. water VAPOUR... e.g. a plastic sheet between plasterboard and porous insulation over a cold surface, such as a single skin wall or a cold roof...
something that allows water vapour to pass through whilst holding back liquid water is known as 'breathable', e.g. tyveck roofing felt etc...
there may be a confusion of terms going on here...

p.s. isnt dricoat basically sand cement and possibly lime with added waterproofer and salt neutraliser (vinegar) in the same way multicem is basically opc with added plasticiser?

Last edited:
a vapour barrier stops the passage of airborne moisture e.g. water VAPOUR... e.g. a plastic sheet between plasterboard and porous insulation over a cold surface, such as a single skin wall or a cold roof...
something that allows water vapour to pass through whilst holding back liquid water is known as 'breathable', e.g. tyveck roofing felt etc...
there may be a confusion of terms going on here...

p.s. isnt dricoat basically sand cement and possibly lime with added waterproofer and salt neutraliser (vinegar) in the same way multicem is basically opc with added plasticiser?

yes it 6:1:1 sand /cement/lime with additives(same as limelite)

has it got any pearlite in it or just 6:1:1 with fibres and good consistent sand?
just strikes me a 12 quid for 25kg of stuff you could make yourself as long as you use good sand and guage the mix properly...
not hard to get hold of fibres.... not heard fibres mentioned on here for a good while actually, prolly since everythings been about the pre-bagged stuff these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.