DPF filter.

Rossi46

Private Member
Well I’ve become the latest victim of the bane of all modern diesels. Engine management light came on today. DPF is blocked. Going to cost hundreds and it’s 1 month out of warranty. Not happy!
Need to give these engines a good thrash or it’ll cost you in the long run.

Well I’ve become the latest victim of the bane of all modern diesels. Engine management light came on today. DPF is blocked. Going to cost hundreds and it’s 1 month out of warranty. Not happy!

yup

We have a hesitation on the X3 and I think it is because jane does not rag it hard enough

yup

We have a hesitation on the X3 and I think it is because jane does not rag it hard enough
I wish I could though. Motorways are blocked so my only choice is A roads which are covered in potholes which leaves me at 25 mph average :raro2::muyenojado:

What make vehicle that bud?

ive just about hadit with my x3.

new dpf back in december.
in workshop again now. temp hadnt risen to regen. that was 280quid.
and now the 4x4light on.
the part cost 839quid fitted and a motor for another 510quid.
2k on the f**k**g thing in 3 months

and now the 4x4light on.

jesus... how old is it?

and now the 4x4light on.
That’s s**t mate :rayos:

What's a dpf filter?
Diesel Particulate Filter. Supposed to stop the really bad dirty emissions leaving the exhaust until they’ve broken right down when the exhaust gets really hot. If the exhaust doesn’t get really hot then the filter blocks up and starts causing problems. Expensive problems :mad:

Diesel Particulate Filter. Supposed to stop the really bad dirty emissions leaving the exhaust until they’ve broken right down when the exhaust gets really hot. If the exhaust doesn’t get really hot then the filter blocks up and starts causing problems. Expensive problems :mad:

And now it turns out that Diesels spit out lots of bad dirty emissions despite the DPF.
Looks like they added an expensive gadget to go wrong for no reason (except to keep garages in business).

And now it turns out that Diesels spit out lots of bad dirty emissions despite the DPF.
Looks like they added an expensive gadget to go wrong for no reason (except to keep garages in business).
Agreed. The garage owners eyes lit up when he found out what brought the engine management light on. Money money money!

Just spent £1500 on an 08 boxer , turbo plus some other exhaust part , it was blowing more smoke than gps at a kkk rally

You don't get that on the latest vans around 17 reg onwards as there eco blue engines,you top it up every 5000 miles, no conselation to you mind.

It's only going to get more expensive. Not only will your DPF clog up if you're doing mostly urban driving, you'll have to pay to enter the CAZ (Clean Air Zone) in cities starting from next year. I think Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham and Southampton along with an expansion in London are the first ones planned.

What really fcuks me off about it is if you drive a van you have no choice other than diesel unless you're delivering flowers in a ten mile radius.

It's only going to get more expensive. Not only will your DPF clog up if you're doing mostly urban driving, you'll have to pay to enter the CAZ (Clean Air Zone) in cities starting from next year. I think Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham and Southampton along with an expansion in London are the first ones planned.

What really fcuks me off about it is if you drive a van you have no choice other than diesel unless you're delivering flowers in a ten mile radius.
Just another tax on the working man eh :raro2:

if the DPF light has only just appeared take the van up the motor way and run it at 70 mph . my brother takes his on a 50 mile round trip to clear it. if the van has been started more then 3 times since the light came on this will not work.

to replace this part will be around £1200, a local chap would cut the DPF in half, remove the filter, then weld the DPF back together to give the appearance that the DPF is still in place. it is a MOT failure to have this part removed. cost £600, van out of action for a least 2 days.

People have what they can afford mate

There aren't many that can afford to run big 4x4s. Plenty who think buying them is the end of the storey when in reality it's just the beginning. Not wanting to p1ss anyone off, but if you're looking at an X3/X5/Cayenne/Range Rover type motor if you can't afford a 2 year old one, you can't afford to run an older one. By that I don't mean you shouldn't have one, just that repair bills are relative to the new value not the 8 or 10 year old value.

i reckon there's plenty that have what they can't afford too Zol, otherwise the ballifs and debt collectors wouldn't be driving round in brand new transits and range rovers.
Champagne life on beer money, I know a few of them

if the DPF light has only just appeared take the van up the motor way and run it at 70 mph . my brother takes his on a 50 mile round trip to clear it. if the van has been started more then 3 times since the light came on this will not work.

to replace this part will be around £1200, a local chap would cut the DPF in half, remove the filter, then weld the DPF back together to give the appearance that the DPF is still in place. it is a MOT failure to have this part removed. cost £600, van out of action for a least 2 days.
Just given it death on the motorway and left it running on the drive for 15 mins and the lights gone off! Bonus! Garage won’t be pleased now though.
Apparently another thing that knackers the DPF is running your fuel low. Keep at least 1/4 of a tank in.

There aren't many that can afford to run big 4x4s. Plenty who think buying them is the end of the storey when in reality it's just the beginning. Not wanting to p1ss anyone off, but if you're looking at an X3/X5/Cayenne/Range Rover type motor if you can't afford a 2 year old one, you can't afford to run an older one. By that I don't mean you shouldn't have one, just that repair bills are relative to the new value not the 8 or 10 year old value.
Spot on Thats what I meant, you can't expect to have an old x3 and expect low maintaience costs, bmw parts cost an arm and a leg.

Just given it death on the motorway and left it running on the drive for 15 mins and the lights gone off! Bonus! Garage won’t be pleased now though.
Apparently another thing that knackers the DPF is running your fuel low. Keep at least 1/4 of a tank in.

Apparently the cheap supermarket diesel isn't good for them either.

I try to stick to a lower gear every now and then. As long as you're over 2500 rpm for a while on a dual carriageway etc it gets warm enough to clear. They're making more and more roads 20 mph in Birmingham, so that'll help no end. :endesacuerdo:

Yes there's talk about it in Leeds, but I'm not sure if that would apply to a new euro 6 engine or if you'll have to pay the full amount etc.

Apparently the cheap supermarket diesel isn't good for them either.

I try to stick to a lower gear every now and then. As long as you're over 2500 rpm for a while on a dual carriageway etc it gets warm enough to clear. They're making more and more roads 20 mph in Birmingham, so that'll help no end. :endesacuerdo:
Agree on the supermarket fuel. Don’t put it in much but I reckon it’s a cheaper grade fuel than the likes of BP etc.

Yes there's talk about it in Leeds, but I'm not sure if that would apply to a new euro 6 engine or if you'll have to pay the full amount etc.

The proposals for Birmingham are to charge anything other than Euro VI next year. However I notice that they say currently Euro VI ... etc. So I guess as soon as Euro VII is available six will get charged. Basically they're going to have their hand in your pocket at some point no matter what you do.

I swear I'm going to get myself a 400e congestion charge, pollution charge, VED and MOT exempt. :fuckyou: :LOL: