downstairs ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

hi guys how is everyone?

a friend of mine wants me to skim his artex ceiling in his living room.

Im happy to do it but just got one question.

the stairwell is in the living room, should i use a stop bead on the edge of the cieling where the stairs go up or shall i just work up to the edge?(hope that makes sense?
cheers guys!!

stop bead mate , but sometime a fecker to fasten so plan this bit first with the depth of skim you will be applying.

yeh the return is flat!so thats why i was thinking a stop bead, just wanted to be sure!cheers for clearing it up though!

big bead (expamet wings) and bond it out before you start, by the time you get back to it with skimming it will have taken up enough:RpS_thumbup:

I thought he was useing a stop bead because the return side was wood part of the stairwell timber work.

Use a stop bead and fix it on the stair side if you use a thin coat bead on a splayed angle you lose the ceiling line both ends unless you dub it out

why go to all that trouble bubbles when you can use a normal thin coat bead?

The timber is usually too far away to get any screws into a skinny bead, so I always use a big 'un...........and you still run the risk of cracking with thincoat beads over existing plaster.:RpS_thumbup:

Staples aint gonna reach anything but the plasterboard, I wouldn't be happy using staples and I just don't think that a thincoat bead is adequate for overskims, maybe it's just me beddy but i think they are weak if not properly secured, i.e. screwed into the timber, thus negating the chances of it breaking away due to movement/shrinkage of plaster........:RpS_thumbup:

grip fill them on then if your not sure, just seems alot of effort to go to in my opinion, ive never had any comebacks on beads

then you've gotta blend it out and then wait for it to firm up, while in the mean time you could have stapled the bead on and be on the 1st trowel by the time the bondings set. each to their own mate but i wouldnt be going to that much effort.

Or just do it free hand without a bead & if they don't like it stick some wooden angle bead up over the corner so they can paint it as a nice little feature:rolleyes)

Beads eh wtf lol Fuk that. I just skim it tight into the edge. Always looks ok.......to me.

Beads eh wtf lol Fuk that. I just skim it tight into the edge. Always looks ok.......to me.

:RpS_biggrin:

I've done loads of artex ceilings like this one without a bead on the return up the stairs & I can leave a straight sharp angle.
Beads are for diyers :RpS_laugh:

Free hand is king:RpS_thumbup:

Great minds lol I did an edge free hand last week and the builders couldn't believe i never used a bead, it was so sharp. What can i say?

:RpS_cool:

Here's a couple of pics & look not a bead in sight:RpS_thumbup:

Ps I still charge for the beads :RpS_wink:

The first one is over artex & the second one was overboarded,
no beads used on either ceiling!

photo-2359.jpg

photo-1231.jpg

Last edited:
It's already in the post :RpS_thumbup:
I don't need mine anymore I nicked the postwomans seat off her bike last week:RpS_drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.