Double layer soundpanel

Paddypower

Hi -

i am doing a double layer of 12.5mm soundshield plus & soundbloc board onto insulated studs, i have finished the first layer with pretty much whole boards and have about half required full board for the second layer plus load off offcuts.
Would I be alright using offcuts (about 150x1200mm) to do a patch job on the second layer? I am using acoustic adhesive and then scrimming all joints.

just worried it might be asking for a load of cracks in my plaster doing it this way, but i could do without buying a load more board.

thanks

Cockney1

Hi -

i am doing a double layer of 12.5mm soundshield plus & soundbloc board onto insulated studs, i have finished the first layer with pretty much whole boards and have about half required full board for the second layer plus load off offcuts.
Would I be alright using offcuts (about 150x1200mm) to do a patch job on the second layer? I am using acoustic adhesive and then scrimming all joints.

just worried it might be asking for a load of cracks in my plaster doing it this way, but i could do without buying a load more board.

thanks

Monkey Boy

Take it all off
Put your patchy work version on first
Put your decent version Back on top of crappy version

ChrispyUK

Hi -

thanks
Don’t listen to them...just crack on!

If it’s just one bit, then I’m sure it will be fine, but if it’s a patchwork quilt then don’t bother. Sound proofing can be a lottery as there are lots of factors contributing to its success. It’s not easy or cheap to soundproof, but you can reduce the noise.

JessThePlasterer

Queen Jess Elizabeth I
As Chrispy said above.

If it’s going to be a pigs ear then take the hit on buying more board and chalk it up to experience. A good reputation pays more in the long run.

There’s loads of threads on sound proofing if you use the search on here

ChrispyUK

Someone on here wrote a really good in depth explanation of sound proofing a while back.... got all scientific with it..... goddamn erotic it was! :reloco:
ive built a few rehearsal rooms and vocal booths Jess. Always on a budget and it’s not easy. Never tried resilient bar, but understand the theory behind it and that is to decouple the wall/ceiling/room from the main structure.
A shock absorber so to speak.

we all float down here