Dot n Dab - Correct method

Members online

Hi everyone, stumbled across this forum whilst searching for reasons why we have a massive draught coming in down the back of the PB and into the room from the skirting. On a windy day you can feel the draught in the middle of the room, and the walls are stone cold freezing.

I gather there could be any amount of reasons, and can be quite common on new builds and extensions. A lot of blame seems to be on the dot n dab method.

My question is quite simple really, as I can't get a straight answer from our builders, (who have now washed their hands of us), and is as follows...

Are you meant to 'seal' the top and bottom of the walls with a line of dab, to prevent cold air rushing in? Or are putting a few dabs around the wall the accepted method?

I understand there are other possible causes: ie bad blockwork, poor insulation, RSJ etc etc, but just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks so much for reading!
Nick

It's a common problem amongst the clueless chancers cutting corners with dot & dab......should be at least 1 bag for two 8x4 sheets and as Tinytom has said solid perimeters

It's a common problem amongst the clueless chancers cutting corners with dot & dab......should be at least 1 bag for two 8x4 sheets and as Tinytom has said solid perimeters
My mates a dryline contractor and pretty sure his spec was solid perimeter as normal . And the dab 25mm tap back to 12.5mm so with 12.5 board 25mm total lol

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
Hi everyone, stumbled across this forum whilst searching for reasons why we have a massive draught coming in down the back of the PB and into the room from the skirting. On a windy day you can feel the draught in the middle of the room, and the walls are stone cold freezing.

I gather there could be any amount of reasons, and can be quite common on new builds and extensions. A lot of blame seems to be on the dot n dab method.

My question is quite simple really, as I can't get a straight answer from our builders, (who have now washed their hands of us), and is as follows...

Are you meant to 'seal' the top and bottom of the walls with a line of dab, to prevent cold air rushing in? Or are putting a few dabs around the wall the accepted method?

I understand there are other possible causes: ie bad blockwork, poor insulation, RSJ etc etc, but just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Nick
Is this a new build or extension?

Are you meant to 'seal' the top and bottom of the walls with a line of dab, to prevent cold air rushing in? Or are putting a few dabs around m8the wall the accepted method?

Nick
Solid perimeter or not you shouldn't be getting drafts. Builders cocked something up

Nick
Do you have a cavity under floorboards , another source of airflow into room from under skirting boards