Dot & dab over tiles ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jafferolli

Hi, just renovating a bathroom, and I have removed all the tiles ( which were tiles on tiles ) except one small wall which is solid. I have dot and dabbed the bathroom walls and I have done the same over the tiled wall and on returning this morning t have noticed the adhesive has not adhered to the tiles. Is this normal ?

Yeah that will happen mate as the tile has no key because of the glaze.... If it were me i would take the tiles off but failing that then a bonding agent is needed like thistle bond it or wickes bonding agent. Paint it on leave 24hrs then dab your boards.

Rich

hammer and bolster.or a bit of welly with a floor scraper...take you half an hour at the most and then board.....roofer2plasterer bang on

Just knock tiles off......if you got sds drill put tile removal chisel on and theyll be on the deck quicker than you can make a mix.
The chisel attachements are also great for knocking plaster off too.

You can tile over tile right ??? I wonder if you could put a tight coat of tile adhesive over the tile and scratch it the when dry dab over it .. ????

richardbrown said:
You can tile over tile right ??? I wonder if you could put a tight coat of tile adhesive over the tile and scratch it the when dry dab over it .. ????
you probably could, in lanzarote they tile over tile, with this stuff called firma flex, like a glue and bonding agent in one, but only seems to work with a depth of 10 mill, any more it doesnt seem to set. ???

a lot of wall tile adhesive wont set deeper than about 10 mil...
tried basing dips out with tile adhesive once, then heavily buttered the tiles and used the straight edge to level em.. adhesive must have been 20 mil thick in places...
anyway, upshot was that the buggers took a week to solidify so im thinking 'loverly, ill grout it', problem was, when i grouted it the grout around the deep spots didnt dry out, in fact it went a greenish colour...
due to the adhesive being too thick..
and theres me thought i was being clever by not using bonding... ;D

that said, ive tiled straight over the top of tiles before today with no problem.. ever tried getting dried tile adhesive of a tile face?

Bagged cement based addies will its the premixed tubbed that are the problem i think thats what you mean Chriss anyway.
Lucius

Status
Not open for further replies.