Dot & dab on old bricks

Richy B

Morning all

Hope someone can help

I need to dot and dab 12.5 p/board to the reveals of an old chimney. The opening will be used for an induction range so no heat or owt like that. My concern is the old red bricks sucking the life out of the dry wall adhesive. Do I just soak or SBR and if so, how many coats and what dilution

Cheers in advance

Richy B

Better off brushing it down first and a very weak PVA mix to wet down will be fine! Couple of coats will suffice drywall adhesive won't pull in too quick once you've taken initially dust off and dampened down (y)

Thanks, last one!.......
As you have suggested, I will brush down, put on 4:1 mix of PVA do I let this dry or slap 2nd coat straight on?
The same when 2nd coat on..........dot and dab straight away before dries?
Cheers

Thanks, last one!.......
As you have suggested, I will brush down, put on 4:1 mix of PVA do I let this dry or slap 2nd coat straight on?
The same when 2nd coat on..........dot and dab straight away before dries?
Cheers
I've already told you 2 things that's my good deed for today any more IL have to charge you :ROFLMAO: just slap it straight back over the adhesive will do the rest now no more questions your exhausting me!(y)

It takes years to gain our Plastering knowledge and some chippy swans along and expects it all for free!! Get back on the chop-saw ffs! Lol.

Because gypsum is like a sponge to moisture plus if it was a working fire the brickwork will he full of carbon, and hygroscopic salts....thats why after a dpc you float with sand and cement or renovating....

Because gypsum is like a sponge to moisture plus if it was a working fire the brickwork will he full of carbon, and hygroscopic salts....thats why after a dpc you float with sand and cement or renovating....
good to see someone else on here that knows what they're talking about........instead of reading the laughable bollox the clueless chancers on here churn out

I ment it will have a chemical injected damp course and by dabing boards you will be compromising it bud....

I know he didnt mucka, he is saying it is red brick on the internal skin...... So the odds are it has a chemical dpc as any building that has a proper membrane dpc in the brick work would have block on the inner skin... so I'm trying to advise him it should not be dabbed....

I know he didnt mucka, he is saying it is red brick on the internal skin...... So the odds are it has a chemical dpc as any building that has a proper membrane dpc in the brick work would have block on the inner skin... so I'm trying to advise him it should not be dabbed....
it may have perfectly functioning slate dpc?

Even if it does i still wouldn't dab it....... Traditional plastering for traditional houses in my book...
Fair point...
That's the problem with online help ...
I answered his query rather than question why he wanted to use dab?

But i Agree with you there
No dpc...
always use a lime based render and finish...

I see all these damp companies advertising on face book and majority tank the walls with membrane as they dont have a clue what they are doing or just cant float or cant be arsed......

I agree... Ive done it in rentals at the request of the landlord for a quick turn around.... Hate using it.....