Dot and screed, am I the only one?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy how often do you use primers? High suction backgrounds only?

Me Steve? The only thing I've ever used is a splash of water or watered down PVA over some old dusty soft red bricks. I've never primed or wet any blockwork ever on internal work. I do wet down the blockwork if needed on externals but that's for a different reason.

freerider, plumb dot and screed is the holy grail of old school plastering, it was unheard of to do it any other way back in the day. Freehand ruling is rubbish compared to it and trust me i've done a lot of both. Keep on screeding my friend.

Feck that putting screeds up for a game of soldiers. Throw it on, pull the edge over it one handed unless your a cithog, fill in the slack and that's it. It's a feckin wall for flecks sake. Get a grip lads :RpS_thumbsup:

Bang on, this man talks sense.

Used to do screeds years ago but to cover more area got to be throw on then feather edge.darby close in rub up **** off!

Dunno why this thread was brought back up from two years ago, setting screeds is simple.. I ont do the box screeds like some of the guys off here, I just do vertical ones about 6 inches wide, floor to ceiling, level them off with me straight edge and level..

When they have firmed up enough, fill between and rule off using the screeds, perfectly flat and plumb wall every time, simples.
how i were tought aswell mate proper plastering not this college crap learnt on site all day everyday lol though i can free hand it pretty straight aswell lol

we always 2 coat everything it rules in better. we have very lightweight alloy feather edges which you can twirl around quickley . we would always float freehand if we are cottage weaving. [housing]

I doubt it, Im not a site worker, dont claim to be fast but good at what I do! Essex Andy I THINK uses screeds on site though! obviously theres a knack to site work, just something Ive never needed to or wanted to do! Dont wanna be a machine or a number knocking out ridiculous metreage, no other trade does, all about enjoying ya job, it aint the 18th Centuary!

Its easy enough to get level and plumb anyway. Just keep checking with your level as you plow on.
Recently did a vicarage in hardwall and the guy insisted on plumb and level....when all the gear was on I pushed a screwdriver in and at the bottom it was a half inch thick...the top was FIVE inches thick....:RpS_thumbup:

Cant see how anyone can get it level without screeds if Im honest but if ya can I take me hat off to ya!

As far as walls that are that far out, tell me about it! I always float level providing the walls practically level, as soon as you start having to lay on **** loads more bags of gear I just lay it flat, the extra time, effort and money it takes to straighten out some ***** brickwork aint my problem! I dont go in and plaster walls leaving loads of scars and ripples so that the decorator has more to do, you should always give your next trade as little to do as possible, shame brickies cant think like that!

getting it flat and level without screeds is just down to expirience i was taught to use them but i havent done it for years

I doubt it, Im not a site worker, dont claim to be fast but good at what I do! Essex Andy I THINK uses screeds on site though! obviously theres a knack to site work, just something Ive never needed to or wanted to do! Dont wanna be a machine or a number knocking out ridiculous metreage, no other trade does, all about enjoying ya job, it aint the 18th Centuary!

Yes Free I still use screeds on every job. As I'm not plastering full time now and have put on over three stones in weight I have slowed down a tad(cough) but just the other week I was averaging 75m2 of S&C left scratched ready to be tiled over, so screeds can't be that slow a method can they?

3 stone weight gain :RpS_scared: **** my life thats alot haha youll be challenging beddy soon

Yow'll be ulruyt when yam in the pub mayt, it teks thee aches n poins away :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.