Dot and Dab

Robertoduran1

Hi - Can anyone one help please as I am new to DIY.

I have a small upstairs bedroom 3m x 2m. The plasterwork needs attention and I have stripped some walls back to brick. The walls are 9 inch none cavity. However, there is an external windowed wall which I have stripped back to brick. I would like to now if I can dot and dab this wall. I have heard all sorts of negative stories e,g cold spots etc. A few things to note there is no penetrative damp from outside. The wall it self already had dot and dab plaster board at the bottom to create a straight base for the skirting which I took off and I could not see any cold spots stains on the board. I intend to use the bedroom as a office and don't want to batten and board - Dry Line as space is a premium. Any advice would be appreciated. I have heard all sorts of rumor's about dot and dab and checked with the surveyor as I recently bought the house. He said it should be ok. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

here's jonny j bonding!.jpg

Hi - Can anyone one help please as I am new to DIY.

I have a small upstairs bedroom 3m x 2m. The plasterwork needs attention and I have stripped some walls back to brick. The walls are 9 inch none cavity. However, there is an external windowed wall which I have stripped back to brick. I would like to now if I can dot and dab this wall. I have heard all sorts of negative stories e,g cold spots etc. A few things to note there is no penetrative damp from outside. The wall it self already had dot and dab plaster board at the bottom to create a straight base for the skirting which I took off and I could not see any cold spots stains on the board. I intend to use the bedroom as a office and don't want to batten and board - Dry Line as space is a premium. Any advice would be appreciated. I have heard all sorts of rumor's about dot and dab and checked with the surveyor as I recently bought the house. He said it should be ok. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

You can do what you want as it’s your house, but you’ll notice a big difference with thermal board. If your worried about space then use XP board from wickes which is about the thinnest you can get. 25mm insulation with a 9mm board bonded to it. Best to batten and screw it on.

Building control usually spec about 50mm insulation when you take whole walls back to brick. Up to you.

You can do what you want as it’s your house, but you’ll notice a big difference with thermal board. If your worried about space then use XP board from wickes which is about the thinnest you can get. 25mm insulation with a 9mm board bonded to it. Best to batten and screw it on.

Building control usually spec about 50mm insulation when you take whole walls back to brick. Up to you.
Thanks Chrispy - I am going to go with yours and Tony Ms advice on insulation boards. It has been confirmed by the Surveyor who surveyed my house. An alternative to adhesive is foam eliminating the dots. I will consider the batton option also. Thanks again.