Don't ye hate it when

Members online

John j

Mono Don
Ye get to job builders says 2 days and soon as he walk in ye can tell it's 4 . Then builder says get it spot on which means hide all my screw ups.

Reactions: s61
Ye get to job builders says 2 days and soon as he walk in ye can tell it's 4 . Then builder says get it spot on which means hide all my screw ups.

use to get that all the time... will only take yoou 2 days... like hell

I don't want a Rolls Royce job.

At that point, I just run away because I learned long ago that people who say that they don't want a Rolls Royce job f**k**g well do want a Rolls Royce job. They just don't want to pay for one.
I got asked to top coat a 30sqm render panel at 2.30pm before that his brick layer had scratched coated and didn't have no drip beads up no stop beads at either end and was to be done off bandstands on my own to mix up put on and rub up I went nah your alright and he called me a defeatist lol I always got told once I was short changing a builder I done a bit for once as well he decided to get me to go on day work I see the job when place was empty said it's about 5-6 days work can have a price or day work he said I get you on day work as things might change I know we all slow down a bit but when I turned up the new kitchen had been delivered all materials in way rubbish in bags in rooms I was going in and basically had about 600mm working area away from walls told him it can't be done with all this crap in the way he said well give it a go I got 2 small hits on cos of the ag and he said I'm short changing him we exchanged words and decided we best part ways

IMG_0035.JPG

"It won't take you long"...........pffft!!!!!
Well it's normally an hour a wall these days ain't it? I just say read the bag that says 2 hours but that's only a guideline and as I'm not a plasterer but an artist to get over some of this it will take longer

Then there.s the penny pinchers who fetch ye 10 boards and two bags of dot to do a room that needs 12 n 6 bags . ......."can't you use off cuts"

Then there.s the penny pinchers who fetch ye 10 boards and two bags of dot to do a room that needs 12 n 6 bags . ......."can't you use off cuts"

I've boarded it.

I'll labour on you.

I'll do the prep.

I can bond it out - you just skim it smooth.

My brother says...

Always a joy when you meet a builder who is prepared and lets you get on with it

I like their faces when they ask how long you been doing this then ..."its my first job " quality

Had one a couple of weeks ago. My dad can get all the materials or nothing just give me the list. Pva, bonding, bead and skim. Turned up for the job young couple shot off to work prepped it all, started to mix up and notived date on the skim f###n january 2017 6 month out of date. Had a bag on (literally) the van mixed that with a spot of bonding a d sent my lad to pick up 3 fresh from b&q only 10 mins away so not to bad. Phoned customer and informed him of this all usual bullshit excuses then told him its £20 more for me buying stuff and im not charging you for my lads down time or fuel. The c**t had left the money for the job and didnt turn up with my 20 finally caught up with him week and half later. Wanted to shove down his throat.

I like their faces when they ask how long you been doing this then ..."its my first job " quality

'Have you had training?' asked the man on Harris.

'Seen a few Youtube vids' says I.

On reflection, perhaps I shouldn't have said that because it didn't go down very well.

Once did a chimney breast n never checked date .was working out bucket . Put one stroke on went back to bucket . Bucket trowel stucknin rock hard plaster

The thing is if ye get on day rate with these it's sound as they have a stupid price in and jobs steady for 2 to 3 weeks longer then a organized job
I sometimes say look get it ready for a weekend and I get a what's ready done for ya no one on way ect and can have a good go at it I'm not a meter eater anymore but if a good builder I will do that bit extra to get job done it's the ones who seem to have started loads of jobs just to look to client job is pushing on but I favour the doing things in correct stages so limits mistakes

Janes aunty phoned me up asking how much I would expect to pay to have a couple of rooms skimmed... (she wont ask me as I am busy) I gave her about what to expect... she went ballistic saying my father in law said it "should" only be £350 for both rooms.... oh how I laughed

I'm glad it isn't just me who gets this crap seems don't matter where we are in country we get the same shite

Janes aunty phoned me up asking how much I would expect to pay to have a couple of rooms skimmed... (she wont ask me as I am busy) I gave her about what to expect... she went ballistic saying my father in law said it "should" only be £350 for both rooms.... oh how I laughed

Got called out to fix a leaky trap in a shower-tray that this birds da installed in a downstairs bathroom. The screed was fcuking soaking! The tiling was f**k**g awful and the simple c**t actually used grey grout in places and white in others on same wall. Proper hallion material this c**t did. Anyway, i gave a price of 250euro cash to take the tray up, fix the leaky trap and put it back down and put in tiles she had around the base where tray was and grout. She told me her Da said it shouldnt be more than 80euro for all the work. Laughed at her an walked away. Some right f**k**g idiots out there i tell ya. Few years ago id have tried to argue my case but now, theres no point. I just say, whoever told you that is a f**k**g idiot. End off!

Got called out to fix a leaky trap in a shower-tray that this birds da installed in a downstairs bathroom. The screed was fcuking soaking! The tiling was f**k**g awful and the simple c**t actually used grey grout in places and white in others on same wall. Proper hallion material this c**t did. Anyway, i gave a price of 250euro cash to take the tray up, fix the leaky trap and put it back down and put in tiles she had around the base where tray was and grout. She told me her Da said it shouldnt be more than 80euro for all the work. Laughed at her an walked away. Some right f**k**g idiots out there i tell ya. Few years ago id have tried to argue my case but now, theres no point. I just say, whoever told you that is a f**k**g idiot. End off!

hahaha yeah janes dad is a retired sparky... so say no more!!!

I dont bother arguing anymore either cannot be bothered just smile politely and leave

hahaha yeah janes dad is a retired sparky... so say no more!!!

I dont bother arguing anymore either cannot be bothered just smile politely and leave

One job I did shortly before coming back to UK... 'my dad's a plasterer, he's 80 now'

Ah feck. You just know he's gonna be able to have done twice the job in half the time for half as much when he was a lad.

Add to this ... doing timber frame. Old t**t who wouldn't stop for tea and wouldn't pay it either... same fella who had us tiling the roof with no scaffold ( I s**t you not... scaffold is for brickies, apparently)

Anyhow, old t**t wouldn't give us a crane either. The bigger the hole in timber frame, the heavier it is. We're struggling across the site with a whole wall with a massive wall with a picture window hole in it... must've weighed about 500 lb between two.

'Are ye not fit?', Shouted the boss from the comfort of his jeep.

'f**k off, this is machine work'.

'Machine work my ass', shouted the boss. ' I lift that on my own when I was your age'

And then he found himself running for his life.

I had one couple weeks ago !!!!!hi mate (they all start the phone call with this luring technique) got a stud wall to do we've plasterboard it either side just needs a quick skim (fuuk off nobhead) sound I said nice little job so off I set to do it Sunday morning I might ad get a text on the way hi mate forgot to tell you there is a bit of bonding to do aswell thought here we fuukin go
got there gaps all the around sides and top about an inch wide I was seething just walked away can't understand why he's not rung me back thought I was his mate!!!!!!!!

When you go to a wedding and it's not family and hardly know anyone . Sat on a table havi g a drink with strangers ..... And what do you do . Plasterer .....oh we need some plastering.... yeah well do t think ye getting it cheap cause I.ve Sat on same table having a drink with ye for one night only

The problem is anyone can call them selves a builder, drive around in a fancy motor and generally do very little.
A jobbing builder will try and scrimp on a job fanny around doing bits of boarding and cut corners, a good builder will sub the complete job out to you, leave you too it and manage the trades properly and earn there bit on top for managing the job and not making small change doing bits himself.