Dont want to be that guy but..

Tommyormaa

Dont want to be that guy but, im desperate for someone to give me a chance 3 days a week, struggling to even get job interviews and when i do i get no where due to financial problems if i cant find anything im going to have to quit my college course halfway through my first year and go into a s**t dead end job. I know i sound like im begging and i appoligise for that im just grasping as straws to not have to give up.. based in newcastle any help or advice is welcome thanks lads!

Give it up . Unless you have a family member or good friend that is a spread your gonna struggle to get set on. My apprentice is the only lad in his year at college who has at apprenticeship. It’s not like it used to be . I’d put your time and effort into something else . You need real experience on site or domestic. College course is not enough.

Not what i wanted to hear haha im loving the course but as my partners maternity money is stopping its either find a part time job or quit and go full time i just really wanted to get into the industry

Not what i wanted to hear haha im loving the course but as my partners maternity money is stopping its either find a part time job or quit and go full time i just really wanted to get into the industry
Keep seeing lads on different forums up your way looking for work,so you might struggle pal.

It’s tough mate . I took a lad on a few years ago who was 30 at the time with a kid,and mortgage . His Mrs worked which helped . He picked up skimming after a few month and went on his own . You just need to get with someone really . Or try doing the odd domestic . Just do one wall a gauge until you improve

It’s tough mate . I took a lad on a few years ago who was 30 at the time with a kid,and mortgage . His Mrs worked which helped . He picked up skimming after a few month and went on his own . You just need to get with someone really . Or try doing the odd domestic . Just do one wall a gauge until you improve
That all am looking for i can skim and board granted not to a professional level but im good enough to skim a wall and with abit help i believe good enough to get better, like weve said its just lack of opportunity. My lass works but shes off for a year with the new born so moneys tighter now, im on 24 so got time to learn if the chance comes up..

That all am looking for i can skim and board granted not to a professional level but im good enough to skim a wall and with abit help i believe good enough to get better, like weve said its just lack of opportunity. My lass works but shes off for a year with the new born so moneys tighter now, im on 24 so got time to learn if the chance comes up..

Is the college no help to you?

If your were down my way you could come along for day and have a go . Start practicing on friend homes. Don’t charge them . Then build your confidence up and skills then start taking on small jobs . Your gonna make mistakes but that’s how your gonna learn. Remember it’s all in the preparation.

If your were down my way you could come along for day and have a go . Start practicing on friend homes. Don’t charge them . Then build your confidence up and skills then start taking on small jobs . Your gonna make mistakes but that’s how your gonna learn. Remember it’s all in the preparation.
Appriciate the offer mate and yeah theres a few people that have mentioned having work but i dont want to invest 300 pound into tools and equipment if im going to have to knock it on the head in a month i use the colleges tools when im there...

^^This.
When I started out years ago, I walked off site after a big fight with the boss - thought now what the fcuk am I gonna do? Then I realised that I don't have to accept every job. I still don't. I just advertised general building and property maintenance. Did some paths, patios, small bits of plastering, dug some holes, did a bit of flat roofing and generally went jobbing. Over time, I learned more about plastering.

I mean don't they have any sort of introduction service?
Nah not really they had a chance to apply for unpaid work experiance but that was for all colleges in the northeast to apply and 2 lads got it, apart from that one lad got a apprentiship that ive heard off but again seems to the the 16-18 that seem to get those things

Nah not really they had a chance to apply for unpaid work experiance but that was for all colleges in the northeast to apply and 2 lads got it, apart from that one lad got a apprentiship that ive heard off but again seems to the the 16-18 that seem to get those things

You'll find that most of the lads on here who've had a 16 yo apprentice hated the little c**t because he behaved like he was still at school. Your age is good. Ring round and offer your services for cheap....then work like fcuk so's the spread has no choice but to pay you at least a labourers wage.

You'll find that most of the lads on here who've had a 16 yo apprentice hated the little c**t because he behaved like he was still at school. Your age is good. Ring round and offer your services for cheap....then work like fcuk so's the spread has no choice but to pay you at least a labourers wage.
Would you say ring the big companys or the lads working for them selves, sounds like a stupid question but i feel like the big companys wont give me the time of day if i cant work the 5 days because of college monday and tuesday?

I hear you. I felt the same. It is hard but don’t give up if it’s what you want to do. You’ve got to be like a dog with a bone. Look up every plasterer and builder in your area and ring them. I had little success getting a plasterer to take me on and started as a builders labourer. Adapt and overcome!

Would you say ring the big companys or the lads working for them selves, sounds like a stupid question but i feel like the big companys wont give me the time of day if i cant work the 5 days because of college monday and tuesday?
If you get a foot in the door with someone maybe f**k college off. I never finished my college course, got quals years later by chance. Better working and you learn more anyway.

If you get a foot in the door with someone maybe f**k college off. I never finished my college course, got quals years later by chance. Better working and you learn more anyway.
Yeah a suppose will not have quals not effect me if i was to try get on site? If not how do i get round it?

Yeah a suppose will not have quals not effect me if i was to try get on site? If not how do i get round it?
You don’t have to be on site as such. I don’t have a card. I work domestically and for builders who don’t care about that. If I were you id plump for whichever path takes me where I ultimately want to go. You can get quals and a card later. What if you complete your course having bypassed an opportunity to get in with someone and don’t have work? There’s many routes. I’d seize the first opportunity you come across and then work your arse off to keep it. That’s what I did

What about the little fella who takes you on because he needs you - do you think that he'll magically not need you on college days? Everyone is gonna have their own take on it.

Kid who works with me just phoned me up one day as people in village told him to. At first I said no but then called him back and said if he starts on 40 a day i.ll give him a try . He.s 21 and can drag 740 a week now when were flat out.
I always remind him where I was when he phone . Tell him it was a sign.......... was in monkey house at Chester zoo

Don’t go on site if you don’t have them. Spend more time speaking to people in the trades face to face, stop every time you see a plasterer and ask him face to face if you can help. Call all the local builders/plasterers as Jess said it’s not rocket science pal. I would suspect if you haven’t even bought a hawk and a trowel yet you haven’t got the motivation/determination to actually get into the trade properly
Also with a new born you couldn’t have timed it worse for a career change, consider putting it on the back burner for 3/4 years

Don’t go on site if you don’t have them. Spend more time speaking to people in the trades face to face, stop every time you see a plasterer and ask him face to face if you can help. Call all the local builders/plasterers as Jess said it’s not rocket science pal. I would suspect if you haven’t even bought a hawk and a trowel yet you haven’t got the motivation/determination to actually get into the trade properly
Also with a new born you couldn’t have timed it worse for a career change, consider putting it on the back burner for 3/4 years
Got a medi for sale if he wants a great trowek

Yeah that’s true, how will people take him seriously if he can’t pitch up with basic tools?

Makes me laugh to remember turning up at college having bought a MT and everyone was using college s**t ones. Felt like Harry Potter with his nimbus 2000 :LOL:

Youve been given the only advice needed.
You got to get out there ask about and buy some tools. Basic set up don't cost much.
Even if your labouring for small builder I'm pretty sure they would be willing to let you skim out walls after proving yourself

I have the motivation or i wouldnt be training at college mate i get what your saying about calling people im going to contact some people as for a career chance i dont have a career ive spend most the years since i left school labouring on sites but theres no progresion with agencies or loyalty hence why i went back to college and im trying to get a trade and ive not enjoyed anything else on site like im enjoying plastering..

I have the motivation or i wouldnt be training at college mate i get what your saying about calling people im going to contact some people as for a career chance i dont have a career ive spend most the years since i left school labouring on sites but theres no progresion with agencies or loyalty hence why i went back to college and im trying to get a trade and ive not enjoyed anything else on site like im enjoying plastering..
So if you’ve been labouring on sites why didn’t you ask the plasterers then? Or offer on your break to go and skim some reveals or cupboards for them? Get your foot in the door it doesn’t take much proactive thinking

So if you’ve been labouring on sites why didn’t you ask the plasterers then? Or offer on your break to go and skim some reveals or cupboards for them? Get your foot in the door it doesn’t take much proactive thinking
I stopped labouring before i started plastering, didnt have a clue how to skim a wall back then left due to only getting days here and there on the agencies which wasnt enough to pay my bills... cheers taking the time to reply to is though mate

I stopped labouring before i started plastering, didnt have a clue how to skim a wall back then left due to only getting days here and there on the agencies which wasnt enough to pay my bills... cheers taking the time to reply to is though mate
No worries mate, good luck hope it works out for you

Buy a basic set of tools i.e. Trowel, handboard, bucket trowel buckets and summer to mix with. if someone says yes having your own tools will help. You need to start volunteering your services to family and friends (word of mouth and experience) but stick to what you know you can do.
you will get the odd plasterer or builder who will give you a shot but your wage expectations and what you will be worth to them will probably differ wildly, ( you have got to play the long game)
If you have family or mates or even mates of mates in the building game pester them for contacts\opportunities.
Remember who you know will generally get you further than what you know.

You have explained your personal circumstances but, if it is what you really want to do make it work i.e. Take a part time job keep up college and do govie jobs of a weekend. Some of them may have to be foc for family but it all gets you nearer the finish line.

good luck with it but if you don't get on with it divint fret, even if you have to take a job which as you said is a dead end, remember, nothing is permanent keep looking and keep trying.