Don't know if plaster is dry?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

loubergus

Hi All

we had a wall skimmed in August, there was a patch that need to have a bonding layer on it as the original plaster fell off. We had the Whole room skimmed with various patches that had a bonding layer too. Most of the walls have dried and have been decorated, however we have one patch that still looks wet. It doesn't really feel damp but it's a much darker colour and has quite a lot of salt coming through too. Do you think this is still damp of just the binding showing though

THanks

Louise

Attachments

• oct 11 001.jpg
    oct 11 001.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,541
  • oct 11 003.jpg
    oct 11 003.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 984
  • oct 11 004.jpg
    oct 11 004.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 5,221
u wud have been better using renovating 4 the patches.if it was on 2 brick work.as using bonding on 2 brick work.often does not dry out as good.

Chip it off, get some sand & cement onto it (with salt inhibitors in the mix) and skim :RpS_thumbup:

Yes, you either still have a damp patch issue, or it had been sorted and you have salts comong through,either way as said above, it needs to be removed as Thistle plaster will always allow the salts through.Did your plasterer know there was a damp issue, if he did its issue to put right, if not , its not really his fault.Either way call him and have a chat.

Thanks

The wall is a internal connecting wall, do you think the damp could be coming from next door? The plaster that was on was all dry and powdery and just scraped off, The room used to be a bathroom, so I assumed it had got damp when the bath was there. But it's not been a bathroom for over 10 years so I thought it would be OK. I look into a damp meter

Lou

I wouldn't waste your money on a damp meter unless you want to seriously take up plastering.

Just give a friendly call to the plasterer who did it, explain to him what's happened and take it from there. If he's any good/reputable, he'll sort you out.

defo damp if the original flaked off, salts will travel through gypsum plaster but the wall has to be wet for the salts to be there in the first place. as someone posted earlier use a render mix with a waterproofer in it or if your guy is unsure about it get a bag of dri coat it has salt inhibitors in it and he wont have to mix to the right measures,not cheap though then finish up with multi finish as your skim coat

Status
Not open for further replies.