Domestics: what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtexLex

Went to price a job over the weekend. They'd recently had hall, stairs & landing plastered and weren't happy so decided to get quotes from different plasterers for their next job. The house is 1960's and hasn't had much done to it since then. The guy showed me the previous plasterers work and showed me what he wasn't happy about. It looks like the plasterers come in & followed the walls. I told him it looked like a standard reskim and houses like this need some form of building out to get the walls flat. He said he wasn't offered that but later told me someone else had quoted £250 more to do the job & wanted 2 extra days to do it but he turned that down as he was too expensive!
After waffling on, my question is when you do domestics like this do you just price it as a re skim & follow the walls or do give them options? I personally always explain that if it's just skimming they want the walls & ceilings will be smooth but not necessarily flat and if it's flat they want then extra work & money is involved.

For this (or any) type of work when you offer choices, or there are limitations and caveats about what can or can't be achieved then do it in writing. Just as important will be getting the response in writing, That way when you get the "Oh, but I thought you were going to fit a new bathroom as well?" you'll be able to show what was agreed.

Of course if they've told you they selected their last plasterer purely because he was the cheapest then wave a cheery goodbye and leave them to it. (y)

For this (or any) type of work when you offer choices, or there are limitations and caveats about what can or can't be achieved then do it in writing. Just as important will be getting the response in writing, That way when you get the "Oh, but I thought you were going to fit a new bathroom as well?" you'll be able to show what was agreed.

Of course if they've told you they selected their last plasterer purely because he was the cheapest then wave a cheery goodbye and leave them to it. (y)
I totally agree. I always email my quotes with an exact outline of the work being carried out, the materials being used etc and the areas being covered. just curious to see who else offers up the alternatives when pricing.

This is always a confusing matter for customers, so as budget, can only agree with all been said before

I explain and give options if the walls are bad,3mm skim,bond and skim,take off f&s or dab and so on just so they know exactly what they will be getting for their money before I start.as with the previous plasterer you mentioned obviously didn't explain what work he was going to carry out.

I totally agree. I always email my quotes with an exact outline of the work being carried out, the materials being used etc and the areas being covered. just curious to see who else offers up the alternatives when pricing.
I offer choice but I try not to go on to much most people just want a good clean job that is ok when painted and have not got a clue what is actually involved and imo they all want the cheapest price

I offer choice but I try not to go on to much most people just want a good clean job that is ok when painted and have not got a clue what is actually involved and imo they all want the cheapest price
I know what your saying. You don't want to go on too much and talk yourself out of a job. I tell customers that most people just go for the skim but I always offer the other options.

ill make it look straight and flat even if its not. within reason. and explain that to them. im not talking inches but if i can square any reveals or ceiling lines for the sake of a few minutes i will do. hate looking at a completed job and its like something out a funhouse.

I explain and give options if the walls are bad,3mm skim,bond and skim,take off f&s or dab and so on just so they know exactly what they will be getting for their money before I start.as with the previous plasterer you mentioned obviously didn't explain what work he was going to carry out.
You just have to manage expectations I suppose. Some people don't want the details they just want a price and a job done. The other plasterer has got a good reputation in the area but obviously took it for granted he knew what the customer wanted.

I know what your saying. You don't want to go on too much and talk yourself out of a job. I tell customers that most people just go for the skim but I always offer the other options.

Very true. Sometimes you talk yourself out of a job just because your trying to much to help and give all the options.

Done the same as most of said - explained about overskims and x,y,z options and then been looked at like theres some axe wielding maniac behind me to realise there thinking he's just creating work when all your trying to do is be honest ....

Wander away from some telling myself ' what do I know im only paid from the neck down ' ...

Status
Not open for further replies.