Domestic Maintenance Companies

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
all the ones i know are cowboys......plumbing,electrics,joinery,plastering,general building work...they all say they can do these things but they standard seem very poor..............jack of all trades, master of none..........:RpS_thumbdn:

Many of them seem to work for letting agents and the standard of alot of rental properties is shite...IMO

I know a few people doing such, painting, gardening,fenceing,gutter cleaning etc.Doing very well too.Today most fammilys have both adults working and have no time.Butt, its like plastering, its how you market your buisness that counts.

haha sorry, was looking for people who may have tried to start such a business or still do and what peoples thoughts were on this!

I've been thinking about doing it for years but always think the demand is not enough or you will end up doing so many small jobs and running around it would never pay the bills!

Jack of all trades and master of none seems to be a few peoples view.

I think sometimes it can be a benefit to customers who don't want every different trade in the house for a small job if one person can do the lot!

fella i know set up one of these type firms but used me for the plastering as it was the ONLY trade he couldnt do, he always used to say to me "my company will last longer than yours cos i can do more blah blah blah"...............he hasent worked in 8 months and has gone back to his old job:RpS_thumbsup:

This is the type of work i do m8, i used to do large work like complete bathrooms,kitchens garage conversions, now i do handyman, everybody has loads of little jobs that need doing and would prefer one person to undertake all and pay accordingly. I also look after 4 vehicles and do the repairs, maintenance and welding ( arc and mig) and put through mot's. Cowboy ????? Lol , i can work as much or less as i want , with satisfied customers who recommend. I've seen 'tradesmen' with one trade under their belt do a bad job, so they'd have no chance as an handyman! Just know your limitations and be aware your actions can ruin someones pride and joy!

I would love to do it and do take pride in my work so think I would gain a lot out of it.

If I didn't have a mortgage to cover I would just go for it but the thought of it all going to the wall puts me off!

I have two mates an electrician and a plumber who have gone self employed in the last few years and both have been unable to get enough work to keep it going. Only thing is if they didn't get the work for their trade they didn't do it so sat around instead with no money coming in!

I would love to do it and do take pride in my work so think I would gain a lot out of it.

If I didn't have a mortgage to cover I would just go for it but the thought of it all going to the wall puts me off!

I have two mates an electrician and a plumber who have gone self employed in the last few years and both have been unable to get enough work to keep it going. Only thing is if they didn't get the work for their trade they didn't do it so sat around instead with no money coming in!

Theres them that want to work for themselves and THEM that actually do it. Your mates have the practical skills but no business sense or drive so are better working for someone else. You don't have to go into it full time yet, just p't in your spare time and see how it goes. Everybody who goes into business worries and stresses but you can alleviate some of that by doing a bit of groundwork first. If its handyman you don'tneed to they are needed everywhere. Always keep your eyes open for an opportunity, blast out 5-10k of flyers, get a website , a boards, website, sign written vehicles etc. the more you make yourself known the better, sit on ya arse and no-one will know you.

Domestic Maintenance Companies. Can they work and do they make a profit?

Go and visit all of your local estate agents: they have clients who are on managed lets. Introduce yourself and let them know what range of trades you have. You'll need to get your foot in the door: give them an introductory offer (20% off your usual rates for the first 3 months). As long as your work is always good, they will continue to use you for on-going maintenance :)

I do quite a bit at the moment already for my boss who also owns rental properties. I get to do the maintenance on these and have gain loads of experience with all the different problems they seem to get.

I think the next step for me would be to invest in a small van and start trying to get additional work outside of what I do already.

Status
Not open for further replies.