Does this look right?

Members online

johnny86

Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right area - if not, mods please move it to the right subforum.

After a few weeks looking for a plasterer, we finally found one on checkatrade who would come in and give us a quote. He didn't have the best prices but had over 30 positive reviews and we thought: well, we get what we pay for.

They did the job over three days which included removing existing wallpaper and plastering the walls and ceilings of two lounges. When they finished, the 'boss' told me to let him know if I wasn't happy with anything - I had a look around and noticed some plaster drops but he told me that they can be scraped off with a putty knife or something similar, which is fine.

The problem is that I only found some imperfections afterwards (when the plaster was dry). I didn't spot them right away and I know it's my fault for not checking the work properly before paying. Now I'm not sure if this is normal and something I have to deal with it myself (with filler, sanding, etc) or if this is the plaster fault. I don't want to ask him to come over so he can tell me this is normal so I'd like to ask for your opinion.

I've added some pictures below - what do you guys think? Is this normal and something I can/should fix it myself or should I ask the plasterer to correct it? Thanks for you help!

20180705_075508.jpg
20180705_075604.jpg
20180705_075618.jpg
20180705_075635.jpg
20180705_075718(1).jpg
20180705_075744.jpg

Attachments

• 20180705_075718.jpg
    20180705_075718.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 307
  • 20180705_075744.jpg
    20180705_075744.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 20180705_080108.jpg
    20180705_080108.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 298
  • 20180705_080215.jpg
    20180705_080215.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 328
Should I ask him to come around and fix it? Do you guys think it's an easy fix or does he have to remove the plaster and plaster it again?

I just called and sent him these pictures. He said these are normal and that any decorator would be able to fill and sand it to make it right. He also said these are due to the heat and plaster expansion.
He offered to come around to fix it by sanding but I'm not so sure if the result will be satisfactory.

Also, he told me to try filling and sanding it myself but I'm worried that it'll make it worse. I'll probably ask him to deal with it himself because I was expecting a nicer finish - no need to be perfect because I know I might have to apply some filling after the mist coat but I was hoping for something way better than that.

I'm almost sending him the link to this thread so he can view the opinion from other plasterers.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right area - if not, mods please move it to the right subforum.

After a few weeks looking for a plasterer, we finally found one on checkatrade who would come in and give us a quote. He didn't have the best prices but had over 30 positive reviews and we thought: well, we get what we pay for.

They did the job over three days which included removing existing wallpaper and plastering the walls and ceilings of two lounges. When they finished, the 'boss' told me to let him know if I wasn't happy with anything - I had a look around and noticed some plaster drops but he told me that they can be scraped off with a putty knife or something similar, which is fine.

The problem is that I only found some imperfections afterwards (when the plaster was dry). I didn't spot them right away and I know it's my fault for not checking the work properly before paying. Now I'm not sure if this is normal and something I have to deal with it myself (with filler, sanding, etc) or if this is the plaster fault. I don't want to ask him to come over so he can tell me this is normal so I'd like to ask for your opinion.

I've added some pictures below - what do you guys think? Is this normal and something I can/should fix it myself or should I ask the plasterer to correct it? Thanks for you help!

View attachment 24440View attachment 24441View attachment 24442View attachment 24443View attachment 24444View attachment 24445
I’m afraid that work is absolutely atrocious!!! To actually go to someone’s home and do this is totally unacceptable! FFS How many times!!! JUST because someone advertises on checkatrade it doesn’t mean they are a qualified professional tradesmen!!! :muyenojado::tonto:

If this is genuine, the whole review system is damming on check a trade, that work is bad as I have ever seen. Put a review on it,,,,, though I have heard some of these online sites make it difficult to negative someone without a process.

Wasn’t a council plasterer was he I’ve seen some just as good as that today, but honestly that’s shocking get him back tell him you want it put right

That's got to come off there's no way I'd skim over that. The state of it shows it wasn't done by a plasterer so you can just about guarantee no proper preparation was done.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha...........rofpmsl.........
Stoppit.........stoppit.........ahahahahaha......
“Didn’t notice it at the time”.......................ahaha hahahaha.........that’s visible from space!!!
Gotta be a wind up.......
Orrrrrr..........maybe it’s @Peterthepole’s first go, crafty eh? A little practice ee voo before doing your own job?