Does anyone recognise from these photos what this stuff is appearing on newly plastered walls?

Dan886

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so thanks for reading my post.

I bought a property last year which is being renovated at the moment.
Previously had large damp issue as property had been vacant for a long time and there had been issues with the property which have now been rectified.

In a nut shell the attic had been converted in the summer, fresh plaster all dried out no issues at all.

Got a guy to plaster the house, (he's only done upstairs) after all existing plaster has been stripped and taken back to bear stone.

It has all been plasterboarded. Had this done two months ago. Plaster's all dried out. Heating has been off as not sorted yet. Property is vacant at the moment.

I went up to the house the other day and got the shock of my life.
All what the guy had plastered had this green mold in circular patches everywhere, internal walls, walls on the exterior side, apart from the ceilings. It was everywhere.
I got in a panic and frantically started wiping it off, not a good thing to do I know, I panicked.
The plaster seems dry and the 'mold' seemed to brush off.
I'm terrified I have no idea what this is and have no idea what to do?

The plasterer has walked off the job, I'm sorting this out legally at the moment as we had a contract (so he would not be able to answer questions) and have scheduled another plasterer to finish the job in the meantime but I don't meet him until late next week to discuss things.

Does anyone know what this stuff is on the plasterboard?

I've wiped a lot off and put very basic temp heating radiators in for the next week or so.

Thank you

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20171130_100748.jpg
    IMG_20171130_100748.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 763
  • IMG_20171130_100743.jpg
    IMG_20171130_100743.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 877
  • IMG_20171130_100726.jpg
    IMG_20171130_100726.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 794
Did he dab the walls? You mentioned stone did you mean brick? What house type is it a pic from the outside would be easier :)

Hi yes I believe he dot and dabbed the walls.
No the property is a stone terrace property, quite old. I don't have any front pictures of the property at the moment I'm afraid.

The old dot and dab strikes again in the wrong property :( this is becoming a joke and will only get worse and my opinion is its site spreads who jump onboard donestics with the basic knowledge, also colleges need to be explaining this problem a bit better. I didn't do any dot and dab in my apprenticeship but learnt about it. Your problem is he has dabbed a cold wall and the moisture in the room is going straight for the dabs and mould is growing. Go around and tap on the wall and I guarantee where it is solid is also the same place the mould is. The problem lies with what the plasterer advised or was told to do by you and only you two know that.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm so worried. I've had enough problems with this plasterer as it is.
I've paid him so much money (3500) and have to take him to court for a partial refund so pay someone else for the work he didn't do.. which to be honest now thinking about it is almost a blessing in disguise but the stress is making ill.

I discussed the damp with him before he started and he just said that dot and dab would be the best method and that the walls didn't seem damp anymore.

He was supposed to put metal bracing on a crack across an internal wall too but never did that. He also just boarded straight over the open chimney breast without closing it off which I asked him not to do.

He didn't really explain anymore about his method to be honest so I'm not sure what he's done or what would be done differently..?

I know it's hard to tell off pictures alone but I don't have a clue.

Does this look in anyway rectifiable?
I honestly hope to god that it doesn't all need re doing as I could never afford that.

I don't know what to do.

Dan

The old dot and dab strikes again in the wrong property :( this is becoming a joke and will only get worse and my opinion is its site spreads who jump onboard donestics with the basic knowledge, also colleges need to be explaining this problem a bit better. I didn't do any dot and dab in my apprenticeship but learnt about it. Your problem is he has dabbed a cold wall and the moisture in the room is going straight for the dabs and mould is growing. Go around and tap on the wall and I guarantee where it is solid is also the same place the mould is. The problem lies with what the plasterer advised or was told to do by you and only you two know that.

f**k off flyn !!
stop with your "i know it all"
do you think they stop dabbing new build houses in winter ??
for fucks sake get a grip.
there all damp moisture freezing and cold.
lads are dabbing my next plot in next to freezing.
the plastering world doesnt stop because its cold.

dan switch on your heating for gods sake.

ive seen 80 flats grow mould because of some idiot decided to go though them without a roof.....more than once.

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so thanks for reading my post.

I bought a property last year which is being renovated at the moment.
Previously had large damp issue as property had been vacant for a long time and there had been issues with the property which have now been rectified.

In a nut shell the attic had been converted in the summer, fresh plaster all dried out no issues at all.

Got a guy to plaster the house, (he's only done upstairs) after all existing plaster has been stripped and taken back to bear stone.

It has all been plasterboarded. Had this done two months ago. Plaster's all dried out. Heating has been off as not sorted yet. Property is vacant at the moment.

I went up to the house the other day and got the shock of my life.
All what the guy had plastered had this green mold in circular patches everywhere, internal walls, walls on the exterior side, apart from the ceilings. It was everywhere.
I got in a panic and frantically started wiping it off, not a good thing to do I know, I panicked.
The plaster seems dry and the 'mold' seemed to brush off.
I'm terrified I have no idea what this is and have no idea what to do?

The plasterer has walked off the job, I'm sorting this out legally at the moment as we had a contract (so he would not be able to answer questions) and have scheduled another plasterer to finish the job in the meantime but I don't meet him until late next week to discuss things.

Does anyone know what this stuff is on the plasterboard?

I've wiped a lot off and put very basic temp heating radiators in for the next week or so.

Thank you

Dan

what has any of them staines got to do with dabbing ??

thats down to dabbing on cold stone walls ??
am i going mad ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171130-234338.png
    Screenshot_20171130-234338.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 505
Hmm i have no idea about those black stains they have just appeared in one part of the room.

It's the mold everywhere coming through that is scaring the hell out of me.

As I said I've put some temporary heating on so will check back in a few days and let you know if any change.

I feel like I may as well have flushed 3500 down the toilet.

I have no idea where how or why this mold is appearing....

f**k off flyn !!
stop with your "i know it all"
do you think they stop dabbing new build houses in winter ??
for fucks sake get a grip.
there all damp moisture freezing and cold.
lads are dabbing my next plot in next to freezing.
the plastering world doesnt stop because its cold.

dan switch on your heating for gods sake.

ive seen 80 flats grow mould because of some idiot decided to go though them without a roof.....more than once.
You changed it to new builds not me, give your head a shake if you think you can dab stone walls and not get this problem tell the op what will happen if the heating is not on?

Hmm i have no idea about those black stains they have just appeared in one part of the room.

As I said I've put some temporary heating on so will check back in a few days and let you know if any change.

if your property has been empty for a while .,.its gonna take more than temporary heating to warm it back up.
the beauty of new builds there extremily well insulated and keep there heat ..they dry out faster.
which aslo causes problems because the movement (expand and shrink)
which causes cracks .

get the heating on.

im sure trying to get your 3.5k back off the spread isnt the answer....get your heating on ...let the house "breath".....its full of water at the minute its fresh plaster.
stop panicking dan ya tight git put on the heat.
youl have your house back soon x

im sure trying to get your 3.5k back off the spread isnt the answer....get your heating on ...let the house "breath".....its full of water at the minute its fresh plaster.
stop panicking dan ya tight git put on the heat.
youl have your house back soon x

its winter now let us know how you get on in a month or 2 (y)

Thank guys will do.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it's looking at the moment.
I'll get this other lad to check it out this week and pump up the heating and dehumidifier in the meantime.
I appreciate you both responding to my post.

Get a exterior pic up. Are the walls solid or cavity. Did you say it’s external walls only. If so I’m with Flynny

Algee, there is a huge difference between cavity and solid wall mate! ;)
I hope the op has and external wall heating if he decides to go your way:D
What was the answer once I rode on here- give it 5-6 coats of paint and will be ok:loco:.
The d&d club

Dot and dab on old stone walls isn't a good idea , I don't like dot and dab straight onto brickwork either on external walls but loads do it, get the heating on and dehumidifier and see what a week of that does ,going to court for £3500 (part of ) will probably cost you more in time and actual money ,

The black stains are hydroscopic forms that happens due to moisture no heat or air flow can make these form on fresh skim , should just wipe off

The op could just try and wipe the bits off with a slightly wet micro cloth to see if it is just hydroscopicness then even could smash a hole into the boards and look at the back of it , definitely needs heating in there either way

My system i use in stone buildings or brick has never let me down. First of all you cant drill and inject stone with damp course fluid and it does not soak in, so we have moved onto dri-zone which is in my opinion far superior. This should have been done first especially if you have areas of rising damp. Basically its a cream thats applied in the joints at dpc course 1 hole in the vertical bed joint and 2 in the horizontal bed on each brick. More difficult with stone especially if its randomly laid but still achievable. The cream soaks into the mortar bed and creates a barrier. Then we apply a sand and cement 3:1 scratch coat to at least a metre high with a good quality integral waterproofer (Sika)Provide a mechanical key to the area. Let this completely dry out. You can them apply a 2nd coat of render or even dri wall over this, damp is kept at the dpc course and if any of the cream did fail you have the waterproofed render to keep any damp at bay. I have seen hundreds of jobs were dri wall has been applied and shown this usually the boards become perished if exposed long enough to the damp. Sometimes a mushroom smell is present too.

My system i use in stone buildings or brick has never let me down. First of all you cant drill and inject stone with damp course fluid and it does not soak in, so we have moved onto dri-zone which is in my opinion far superior. This should have been done first especially if you have areas of rising damp. Basically its a cream thats applied in the joints at dpc course 1 hole in the vertical bed joint and 2 in the horizontal bed on each brick. More difficult with stone especially if its randomly laid but still achievable. The cream soaks into the mortar bed and creates a barrier. Then we apply a sand and cement 3:1 scratch coat to at least a metre high with a good quality integral waterproofer (Sika)Provide a mechanical key to the area. Let this completely dry out. You can them apply a 2nd coat of render or even dri wall over this, damp is kept at the dpc course and if any of the cream did fail you have the waterproofed render to keep any damp at bay. I have seen hundreds of jobs were dri wall has been applied and shown this usually the boards become perished if exposed long enough to the damp. Sometimes a mushroom smell is present too.

That's all well and good, but the OP is referring to the up stairs!

I.ve got this a little in one bedroom .only room Where i didnt put insulation boards on exterior walls . I.ve no cavity upstairs and this is caused from hot air hitting cold wall note to do with damp walls. Never known it on new builds causewalls are well insulated

Thank guys will do.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it's looking at the moment.
I'll get this other lad to check it out this week and pump up the heating and dehumidifier in the meantime.
I appreciate you both responding to my post.
Hi Dan did you get your damp problems sorted? Only asking cos I'm in the same boat an I'm a bit lost

Hi Dan did you get your damp problems sorted? Only asking cos I'm in the same boat an I'm a bit lost
Hi. That was 2017, I doubt you’ll get a reply from him. Maybe post pics of your problem.

If similar it’s likely a condensation issue.