Do you have to remove lath and plaster?

Members online

marcusjfrancis

I have recently moved to a 1930s property. I’ve successfully skimmed / replastered 2 rooms so far. so I’m Fairly confident on the plastering aspect however, for the next rooms I intend on doing, there are some cracks in the lath and plaster. One of the walls is really bouncy so I’m aware I will have to take that off and re board it before skimming but as for the other walls, they have some cracks but when pushed on, they don’t move. Can these be skimmed over or do you have to just remove any lath and plaster and re board?

I'm here for advice too because I'm doing exactly the same thing.

In my mind, it's a 30 Mon job to efficiently remove the lathe and plaster. Then you can put insulation in and have thicker more modern plaster job.

I was going to go over it but then I though... It's literally the price of foam/plaster board difference, the finish will be better, it will be insulted and last longer.

Can be summed up as

"Do I try to fix an old thing and polish a turd" or "should I upgrade and get longevity". When you really stop to think about it, its obvious

I'm here for advice too because I'm doing exactly the same thing.

In my mind, it's a 30 Mon job to efficiently remove the lathe and plaster. Then you can put insulation in and have thicker more modern plaster job.

I was going to go over it but then I though... It's literally the price of foam/plaster board difference, the finish will be better, it will be insulted and last longer.

Can be summed up as

"Do I try to fix an old thing and polish a turd" or "should I upgrade and get longevity". When you really stop to think about it, its obvious
You looking for a labourers job? I could use a guy like you If you can remove a rooms worth of plaster in 30 mins

You looking for a labourers job? I could use a guy like you If you can remove a rooms worth of plaster in 30 mins
Ah feck thought it was a wall but to be fair you could do it on a pinch. Not 30 mins mind but yeah. Just scored along the wall and took it off in large sections

Took a lath and plaster ceiling down yesterday in a customers kitchen. Horrible job. Lucky they were out for the day.
BA079327-E562-4FC7-816C-AEABAF3436CA.jpeg

Kitchens not too bad. Upstairs the b*****d with 100 years of dust falling down.

Still bad enough though. Did the bathroom for them last year.

Only took down as they didn’t want the tongue and groove and wanted Rockwool in to deaden the sound upstairs for the new nursery. Smashed it out, left the old counter battens on, screwed then up, Rockwool and dB board

Still bad enough though. Did the bathroom for them last year.

Only took down as they didn’t want the tongue and groove and wanted Rockwool in to deaden the sound upstairs for the new nursery. Smashed it out, left the old counter battens on, screwed then up, Rockwool and dB board
Not a clue as to what the f**k your on about?