Do I need to Key the surface of Vandex for plastering

RETEP

Simple question I think. Apparently you can plaster straight onto Vandex. Now, I'm prepping the wall and applying the vandex myself and intend on getting in a plasterer to finish. The trouble is, I don't have a plasterer yet to ask the question: Do I need to leave a keyed surface for them to plaster onto?

The wall is interior brick and the prep involves flattening the surface and filling any holes with Rend Aid (which I will key some how) then apply the vandex. I've never used vandex before so any advice is welcome. Can't find any videos explaining how to use it in this context. Cheers.

Who said you can skim over it?
I've said in previous thread how to use vandex unless they've brought out another product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said in previous thread how to use vandex unless they've brought out another product?

That came from a local damp proofing firm and it's written in the technical data from Vandex website. They use vandex plaster or proprietary plastering. It allows you to decorate, protect the surface from accidental damage, and prevent condensation as it's single skin brick wall and will be prone to cold. The Damp proof guy said to render first with Rend Aid (stipple surface). Then add vandex. Then leave for 21 days before plastering. I couldn't hire him to do the job because they only take on work above 2 grand, so i asked his advice. Initially he said use a membrane, but as it's a small job and I'm doing it DIY style he said Vandex was the best option. Seemed to know what he was talking about.

How do you use it then? Just put a layer on and paint the Vandex???

Last edited:

Vandex has a product which can be floated out and skimmed next day. Vandex refurbishment plaster white it's called.