DIYer well out of his depth - stop or carry on?

grubbynovice

Hello all - I've been patching up the render on my Victorian Edinburgh tenement flat just to tide me over for a few years, when I'll get the whole lot done professionally. Several areas had cracked & blown out so I did my research and did what was hopefully a half-decent repair job. Basically I scraped off as much as poss, applied SBR, scratch coat, 2nd coat 3 days later & sponged it off etc. Looks decent enough so no complaints so far...

My issue is with a totally separate area that I just opened up today (while finishing off the patches). I had been given some not so great advice to "just scrape off the masonry paint" beneath my bay window, which would supposedly expose the underlying sandstone. That didn't happen at all. Instead it looks to me - and again, I'm clueless about this - that I've scraped off the outer layer of the sandstone, exposing some vulnerable looking sandy texture to the elements. I dont' think this is render but I could be wrong.

Could anyone have a look at my pictures below and let me know their diagnosis? Be as brutal as you like. Should I scrape off the remaining bubbly paint / broken stone and crack on with SBR/single/double coat as I did with the patches? Or is the stuff I've exposed good to be left as is (surely not...). Or should I quit messing around and get a professional!? :)

Any background you can give on how the render & stonework reached this state would be much appreciated. I bought the flat two years ago and had solely been concentrating on interior renovation until now. It seems strange that the paint took on a 'melted' effect (hard to see in the pix as I'd scraped off the most noticeable stuff) and that the stone underneath appears so weak. Is this normal? Was it a botched historic repair or is it just long overdue for a re-rendering?

Keen to learn even if I have to call in someone else. Thanks for your time!

IMG_20181118_144515.jpg

(You can see one of my repaired patches at the top right)

IMG_20181118_144547.jpg

(Close-up view of the area where I was told I'd just be removing paint...)

IMG_20181118_144707.jpg

(This is what came off, and very easily. Not just a layer of paint...)

IMG_20181118_144555.jpg

(Another of my repaired patches after applying second coat)

Last edited:
Oh and a follow-up question just for the patches... can anyone recommend some masonry paint / colour charts so I can try to match my patches with the existing colour? I was going to just paint up to nearest horizontal indentation, rather than re-painting the whole lot. Not too bothered about slight colour variation as off-colour repair patches seem to be common in Edinburgh

Oh and a follow-up question just for the patches... can anyone recommend some masonry paint / colour charts so I can try to match my patches with the existing colour? I was going to just paint up to nearest horizontal indentation, rather than re-painting the whole lot. Not too bothered about slight colour variation as off-colour repair patches seem to be common in Edinburgh
B and q do colour matching on masonry paint, just take a bit you e scrapped off in with you