Dividing a big ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
just thought it might be good on the curve

do you ever use it on 2 coats or is just a one coat thing?

They look good check the width so you're float fits

Not really on 2 coating you shouldn't need them

will do
itll come in handy then for when i skim over a very old walls, they set like fook like you know

i buy mine from wickes mate they always last me a little while only 14 quid i think, i do it a similar way to spunk but i do a posh one coat instead so its kinda one coat and kinda 2 coats flatten in and cross to get it even then spray and sponge, as spunks says itll be the nicest easiest plaster youve ever ran a trowel over but timeing is crucial, youll pick it up as you go along though mate im sure as with normal plastering everyones teckers is different

it cost £18ish with p&p but i paid with paypal so it doesnt count has money:RpS_lol:
so you put the first coat on has norm then clean all your gear (ive no lab) prob take about 5 mins at the most, then go over it with the trowel to flatten it, then sponge it up ? do you go over it just the same has you would with your trowel or do you use it like you rubbing it up in circles? (sorry if this sounds stupid but ive never had or seen a sponge near the skimming before)

think i need to get a sprayer, i normally wet it up with a rub of the brush

must admit though it does feel strange spunky being nice, hes normally taking the piss and i thought hed be worse with the arrival of the new baby, less sleep an all that

infact i was expecting the link to be for some strap ons or something :RpS_lol:

spunky if i say a wall takes 2 and a half hours from mixing up to it being done, how long does it take when using the sponge?
lay it on...(leave it)....trowel it............ wet it and sponge it............ last trowel...........done

jesus ill be sat outside the club waiting for it to open at 12 :RpS_drool:

In cool conditions 1 1/2 hours after you've laid it on ......last time I was doing it I did 60m Inc scrimming etc on my tod by about 12 - 12.30, you can comfortably do 3 sets and be cleaned up by 3, doing that 2 coating mixing by myself I usually finish 4.30-5 2 coating

ive got a loft to do the week after next so im thinking it might be good for curving the ceiling/wall because the joiner has done the boarding and ill put the wage on it that the line wont be straight

we allways use bonding on the curve of rake ceilings and run a mould along [we use a childs plastic plate] this hides bent lines. then skim the rake and the ceiling together, skimming the walls on next hit.

I only mix one bucket and what ever it covers thats has much has i do in one go thats with 2 coats (facing it up)

like i said ive a loft to do week after next all boarded so ill give it ago there and ill let you know how it goes, ill try it on the beams where there are beads and ill try it on the walls without the beads, all the boards are straight edge or im hoping so, those tapered edge boards are toss, so i presume that i can just one coat it seen as there isnt any joints to fill

just of topic a bit..... ive been looking at posts about the sponging and i have seen loads of peeps on about using plastic trowels at the same time whys that?? dont they knack up easily ?

cheers malc
i normally just start at the left has normal but in the middle of the wall and run the skim straight onto the ceiling forming the curve with the skim then just patch the other side to it on the next gauge. Normally i do the boarding but this time the home owner/joiner has done it, ive not seen the boarding yet so it could be a rate mess:-( so might have to use some bonding

Well done wiv the ceilin mate ure joins will b fine,once painted it will b s**t hot.becomin quicker will come in time too

so with the skim tape method, is it 2 coats, then dry and wet coat then remove tape then do the other side?
plus would you sponge the joint (or even the whole ceiling before trowelling)?

I do the houses for persimmon home and we use the Knauf plaster which is a lot softer than gypsum but it patches in great and sands down ok, you could put the ceiling on in two goes with a straight joint down the middle and if you don't manage to get the joint down right which I would put money on it you won't this would sand down and you could fine fill the rest with some joint cement which would give you your best chance of hiding the join :)

Thought that I had cracked it but, when I painted it two days ago my joins were crap. So I'm re-doing the whole ceiling. Practice makes perfect.

This time I'm doing it in 2 halves so I only have one join to worry about. Hopefully get it done this weekend.

Thought that I had cracked it but, when I painted it two days ago my joins were crap. So I'm re-doing the whole ceiling. Practice makes perfect.This time I'm doing it in 2 halves so I onlyhave one join to worry about. Hopefully get it done this weekend.
good luck

Thought that I had cracked it but, when I painted it two days ago my joins were crap. So I'm re-doing the whole ceiling. Practice makes perfect.

This time I'm doing it in 2 halves so I only have one join to worry about. Hopefully get it done this weekend.

Just easifill the joins then sand & paint.

14m2.
All boarded out and scrim taped.
Hope to start skimming tomorrow. A little aprehensive on how it turns out.
did a 30m2 the other day u just got to get stuck in mate nothing worse than joins in anything looks s**t should allways get some one to help if u cant do it urself

you should be able to do 14m on ur own. just make sure youve got good access, killed the suction properly and have nothing to hold u up. then first coat, flatten, clean ur tub out and 2nd coat. scaffold the room out if u can for easier access. ul be suprised what u can do when u have to. when i was only capable of skimming about a bag a hit, the guy i was working with put on a 4ish bag lid, flattened it and then said off u go. it was all boarded out so just had to walk it but i did it. struggle tho. but it can be done

Status
Not open for further replies.