Distemper

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

spreadeasy

Went to work today on Saturday! scraped some artex back on an old tyneside flat done the large lounge ceiling and in between trowels started scraping the artex with textured paint over it off the bedroom to find distemper the painted artex was coming off easily down to dusty white surface did toy with the idea of SBR on it as had some in van as it started to come off quite easy told the customer needed boarding as didn't want to take the risk, customer understood and was totally fine, but often find that this is a bit of tough subject when dealing with customers as I think they think your trying to get extras or pull a fast one

Better safe than sorry.for the sake of a few sheets of gyprock but aye its more work. No option but to charge more.

Went to work today on Saturday! scraped some artex back on an old tyneside flat done the large lounge ceiling and in between trowels started scraping the artex with textured paint over it off the bedroom to find distemper the painted artex was coming off easily down to dusty white surface did toy with the idea of SBR on it as had some in van as it started to come off quite easy told the customer needed boarding as didn't want to take the risk, customer understood and was totally fine, but often find that this is a bit of tough subject when dealing with customers as I think they think your trying to get extras or pull a fast one
They will be more pissed off when it is falling on their head mate ,right call :RpS_thumbup:

Totally agree but normally when pricing work or you say to a customer distemper you get the look! As if to say

Distemper is a bitch. If you know it's there you can wash it off I think prior to skimming but got caught out once. Skimmed ceiling and within weeks was starting to lose bond. Had to overboard and skim. Only choice really. Better to be safe than sorry.

you know if the property is pre 1960s then it will be distemper! so therefore you know what to quote for before you even knock on the door.

Distemper is a c*nt...... That is all!!
On the other hand av used thistle bond it on the walls, left for 24 hours skimmed and it was spot on!

If you cannot overboard due to reasons ,then If you can get artex off to distemper then stabilise and and leave a day and PVa and skim will be fine , back in the day when artexing was in fashion we came a Roos loads of distemper ,and artex is worse than plaster on distemper for problems

Good advice Ashley. We have done several jobs similar were we have used a stabilising solution prior. I think it is blackfryers we use but there is an artex one called stabilex. If we can be of any more help just ask. "If in doubt shout" :RpS_thumbup:

seems to be a few places when you google it, ryan, roughly 25 quid plus the delivery. sheffins.

Yes. Thats correct. They also do a version os stabilser. I think thats in a tin like you get wood preserve but I am not sure. I will ask Andy. Just ask at the trade desk to be sure

I am not sure the asbestos is all that it is cracked upt o be mate. I mean there would be laws in place to make you have it removed like asbestos roofing and the likes.

No but have had it tested in the past and it has been so minimal it's not worth worrying about it. Also been advised that it's a waste of £60 by someone who tests for it regularly

Yes your right there. I board over it when I can. If I cannot do that for any reason I will pregrit and then bond and skim the following day. Your health is the most important thing. I just meant that it seems to be in a few thing like old break discs. A man told me that who was in the Army and stripped them day after day. He is now dead from it

Status
Not open for further replies.