Direct apply plaster or dry line working Chimney breast.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasterman2000

Hello. Looking for some advice. Im having a discussion with my builders about what best approach to use on a previously damp chimney breast in my lounge. The stack , flashing and roof have all been repaired/ re-rendered, new lead etc. The chimney is in use. It has a coal fire which we use when we are here at the weekends (holiday cottage by the sea) The Chimney has been dry lined in the past and we will remove this lining back to brick. So the question is do we dry line with a vapour barrier or do we treat the wall with fungicidal wall wash then direct apply with plaster with something like k-rend lime or limelight. Im hearing 3 coats to build up the thickness. Not a problem either way. Just want to make sure we do it once and its done right.

Thanks in advance.

you could do either. i would dry line in fireline plasterboard. i would not use vapour plasterboard near an open fire as the barrier is a type of poly sandwiched in the plasterboard.
if the brickwork is clean of soot you could have it floated and set, soot will bleed through plaster.

Hello. Looking for some advice. Im having a discussion with my builders about what best approach to use on a previously damp chimney breast in my lounge. The stack , flashing and roof have all been repaired/ re-rendered, new lead etc. The chimney is in use. It has a coal fire which we use when we are here at the weekends (holiday cottage by the sea) The Chimney has been dry lined in the past and we will remove this lining back to brick. So the question is do we dry line with a vapour barrier or do we treat the wall with fungicidal wall wash then direct apply with plaster with something like k-rend lime or limelight. Im hearing 3 coats to build up the thickness. Not a problem either way. Just want to make sure we do it once and its done right.

Thanks in advance.
call me anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.