Diagnosis Needed

Members online

victoriadl

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help!

Within the last 2 - 4 weeks I've had GTEC plaster cove fitted and as of yesterday I can see that it's splitting / shrinking at the joints. We've told our builder and he has responded with the following: ''..hairline cracks are common in newly plastered areas, which are prone to shrink and are very sensitive to movement. Houses will move with the climate, heat and moisture which will make them expand, cold and dryness will make them contract. It only takes the slightest bit of movement for cracks to appear'.

I'd be grateful if at least three plasterers can advise as to whether I should expect the coving to behave in this manner and whether I ought to expect this shrinkage at all? Plus what in your opinion will likely cause the coving to shrink and split at the joins as mine has done?

I've attached images of the 4 areas of coving for perusal.

Many thanks,
Victoria

Attachments

• Kitchen Coving 1.jpg
    Kitchen Coving 1.jpg
    906.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Kitchen Coving 2.jpg
    Kitchen Coving 2.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Kitchen Coving 3.jpg
    Kitchen Coving 3.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Kitchen Coving 4.jpg
    Kitchen Coving 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
The first three pictures show that the cuts weren't very accurate, which is probably due to things being out of square. These cracks have nothing to due with the house moving but is the material, used for filling the joints, shrinking. Artex, when used as adhesive, is the worst for this and proper cove adhesive has the least shrinkage.
Obviously this is all just my opinion.

Get me @Danny helping a moggel.

The first three pictures show that the cuts weren't very accurate, which is probably due to things being out of square. These cracks have nothing to due with the house moving but is the material, used for filling the joints, shrinking. Artex, when used as adhesive, is the worst for this and proper cove adhesive has the least shrinkage.
Obviously this is all just my opinion.

Get me @Danny helping a moggel.#

thanks for your feedback!

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help!

Within the last 2 - 4 weeks I've had GTEC plaster cove fitted and as of yesterday I can see that it's splitting / shrinking at the joints. We've told our builder and he has responded with the following: ''..hairline cracks are common in newly plastered areas, which are prone to shrink and are very sensitive to movement. Houses will move with the climate, heat and moisture which will make them expand, cold and dryness will make them contract. It only takes the slightest bit of movement for cracks to appear'.

I'd be grateful if at least three plasterers can advise as to whether I should expect the coving to behave in this manner and whether I ought to expect this shrinkage at all? Plus what in your opinion will likely cause the coving to shrink and split at the joins as mine has done?

Many thanks,
Victoria
Andy's right , also cove ends I seal with PVA before sticking up , probably better products but I'm tight

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help!

Many thanks,
Victoria

Perfectly fair & truthfully response from your builder.

It's a minor minor cosmetic problem that can be very easily sorted with some additional filler over the top.

It may crack again especially if it's a down stairs ceiling with floor movements etc.

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help!

Many thanks,
Victoria
As above it's just shrinkage nothing a bit of fine fill won't cure