Dewalt trowel

This new weapon arrived today
61784964-6404-4A72-873E-21258E9B75E2.png

Given that many standard trowels use steel beween 0.7-0.8mm, it seems a bit odd that they're branding a 0.7mm as a 'flex' trowel, but I suppose the grade and tempering of the steel can make it more flexible.

Refina's Finatex 2 is 0.5mm, if memory serves correctly.

That DeWalt might be a re-spec'd Level 5 trowel (made in Poland).

Nice to see the shank isn't too short.

Weird - I just did a quick search for 'Dewalt 0.7 flex', and the results were for 0.5mm trowels (as per Refina Finatex2), but OP's photo, at top of thread, definitely looks like '0.7 flex'.

Here's a copy&paste of the blurb:
  • The new DeWalt FLEX 0.5 trowels are made of hardened stainless steel and deliver an ideal blade flex that reduces fatigue during use while delivering a smooth finished surface.
  • The DeWalt Trowels are so strong the blade metal will tear before the rivets let loose.
  • The DeWalt blade is mounted with high quality; precision stainless steel rivets that are robotically welded to the blade surface. Unlike competitive models that "tape" the blade to a mounting platform, DeWalt has developed the technology to weld thinner steel directly to the rivets.
  • Due to the blade being mounted this allows you to have more working surfaces. This allows the trowel to have the perfect flex and finish like no other trowel.
  • The trowel is made of hardened stainless steel and delivers a blade flex that unlike any other trowel.
  • The easy flex works like a skimming blade for a mirror finish plus reduces fatigue during use.
  • Patented Leather composite camelback handle reduces fatigue while providing an outstanding finish.
  • Ideal for finish coats for drywall joint compounds plaster and venetian plaster; these trowels will leave a fantastic finish.

Yeah, nice try, DeWalt, but Finatex 0.5mm single-layer flexi blade trowel has been out for a couple of years now, so unless yours is older, the above claims need revising.

However, digging deeper, they appear to also be doing a 0.4mm version which would (as far as i know) be the first single-layer trowel that thin. Must be easy to damage, though, surely?

ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 Trowels

DEWALT ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 trowels feature blades crafted using hardened 0.4mm stainless steel and due to their unique design, they deliver a flex that is unlike any other trowel available. The easy flex of these trowels feels similar to a skimming blade, providing a mirror finish with reduced hand and wrist fatigue.

The ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 leaves an extremely smooth finish and is ideal for finish coats for drywall joint compound plaster and venetian plaster.

The blade on the ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 is mounted with premium quality, precision stainless steel rivets that are robotically welded to the blade surface. Unlike competitive models that "tape" the blade to a mounting platform using a double sided tape, DEWALT has developed a technology to weld thinner steel directly to the rivets while maintaining structural integrity and flatness.

The blade/rivet assembly is then press-fitted to the precision aluminum tang making this the strongest 0.4mm stainless steel trowel on the market. These trowels are so strong the blade metal will tear before the rivets let loose.

In addition, the design of the ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 trowels provide a wider working surface on the blade compared with other flex trowels on the market, making them easier to use with a flex and finish like no other trowel available.

Here are Level 5 trowels in production:

www.plasterersforum.com/threads/refina-finatex-2.77738/post-1328492

At least some (possibly all) of DeWalt's trowels & spats appear to be rebadged Level5 gear.

Yes, Zombie's right - I do need a hobby, but lockdown is boring.

Last edited:
Given that many standard trowels use steel beween 0.7-0.8mm, it seems a bit odd that they're branding a 0.7mm as a 'flex' trowel, but I suppose the grade and tempering of the steel can make it more flexible.

Refina's Finatex 2 is 0.5mm, if memory serves correctly.

That DeWalt might be a re-spec'd Level 5 trowel (made in Poland).

Nice to see the shank isn't too short.
DEWALTSKI

Weird - I just did a quick search for 'Dewalt 0.7 flex', and the results were for 0.5mm trowels (as per Refina Finatex2), but OP's photo, at top of thread, definitely looks like '0.7 flex'.

• The new DeWalt FLEX 0.5 trowels are made of hardened stainless steel and deliver an ideal blade flex that reduces fatigue during use while delivering a smooth finished surface.
  • The DeWalt Trowels are so strong the blade metal will tear before the rivets let loose.
  • The DeWalt blade is mounted with high quality; precision stainless steel rivets that are robotically welded to the blade surface. Unlike competitive models that "tape" the blade to a mounting platform, DeWalt has developed the technology to weld thinner steel directly to the rivets.
  • Due to the blade being mounted this allows you to have more working surfaces. This allows the trowel to have the perfect flex and finish like no other trowel.
  • The trowel is made of hardened stainless steel and delivers a blade flex that unlike any other trowel.
  • The easy flex works like a skimming blade for a mirror finish plus reduces fatigue during use.
  • Patented Leather composite camelback handle reduces fatigue while providing an outstanding finish.
  • Ideal for finish coats for drywall joint compounds plaster and venetian plaster; these trowels will leave a fantastic finish.

Yeah, nice try, DeWalt, but Finatex 0.5mm single-layer flexi blade trowel has been out for a couple of years now, so unless yours is older, the above claims need revising.

At least some (possibly all) of DeWalt's trowels & spats appear to be rebadged Level5 gear.
Taping the blade to the platform is taking it too far even for me, f**k sake all getting in on the act.

You need a hobby!

However, digging deeper, they appear to also be doing a 0.4mm version which would (as far as i know) be the first single-layer trowel that thin. Must be easy to damage, though, surely?

ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 Trowels

DEWALT ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 trowels feature blades crafted using hardened 0.4mm stainless steel and due to their unique design, they deliver a flex that is unlike any other trowel available. The easy flex of these trowels feels similar to a skimming blade, providing a mirror finish with reduced hand and wrist fatigue.

The ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 leaves an extremely smooth finish and is ideal for finish coats for drywall joint compound plaster and venetian plaster.

The blade on the ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 is mounted with premium quality, precision stainless steel rivets that are robotically welded to the blade surface. Unlike competitive models that "tape" the blade to a mounting platform using a double sided tape, DEWALT has developed a technology to weld thinner steel directly to the rivets while maintaining structural integrity and flatness.

The blade/rivet assembly is then press-fitted to the precision aluminum tang making this the strongest 0.4mm stainless steel trowel on the market. These trowels are so strong the blade metal will tear before the rivets let loose.

In addition, the design of the ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 trowels provide a wider working surface on the blade compared with other flex trowels on the market, making them easier to use with a flex and finish like no other trowel available.

Got both mate,

Although they are the same blade thickness, the Dewalt (0.5mm) st. steel is a bit more flexible than the Finatex2.

They finish very similarly, although I prefer the Dewalt because of the handle comfort.

f**k the trowel, I want them buckets

wish I was a labourer aswel mate :birra:

ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 Trowels

that trowel will break your wrist
thats at a glance xx

ULTRA-FLEX 0.4 Trowels

Ffs I ain't reading all that!!

Got both mate,

Although they are the same blade thickness, the Dewalt (0.5mm) st. steel is a bit more flexible than the Finatex2.

They finish very similarly, although I prefer the Dewalt because of the handle comfort.

Honestly, I'm happy with a Permashape and a Superflex3, so not looking to buy another trowel.

Just out of curiosity, do you find single-layer 0.5mm stiff enough to not put ripples in the plaster?

Honestly, I'm happy with a Permashape and a Superflex3, so not looking to buy another trowel.

Just out of curiosity, do you find single-layer 0.5mm stiff enough to not put ripples in the plaster?

No ripples .
I do 80% with a standard trowel and fly over late on with one of these.
Effortless that way, comes up flawless.