Destructive survey for rising dampness

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't be arsed reading it but I reckon it'd be cheaper to knock it down and re build rather than get damp scientists in :RpS_thumbsup:

Sometimes you have to carry out a destructive survey to find the cause of the dampness problem. I find the people that instruct me are happy for this to take place because they know they will find out what is the cause and the real fix.

Click the link below to see why on this particular survey it was important.

Damp proofing survey Trowbridge, rising damp on the inner skin of a cavity wall | Welcome to Complete Preservations blog

Read your report (not working today). UTTER RUBBISH. THIS MY FRIEND IS A SIMPLE CASE OF A BRIDGED DPC. Dampness is not rising lol up the brick , it's rising through the plaster. That will be £500 please

sounds like a good idea, even if you find nothing wrong you can charge them to repair the mess caused to see if they needed any work doing. genius.

I have a endoscope, they are a good bit of kit, I inspected a cavity the other day, I thought it was bridged wall ties but it wasn't. It was a lazy brickie in the 70's who couldn't be arsed to keep the cavity clean.
Now the customer has to deal with the issue of a bridged cavity.

Destructive surveys are good, but can be labour intensive. I have done a fair few usually when the local wizards run out of magic lol.
For dry rot work I think its the only way to go :RpS_thumbsup:

It's easy to find out if the plaster bridges the DPC without any of these 'tools' or 'destructive techniques'. Measure down from the window cill to the exposed exterior Dpc. Measure down from internal cill to the floor. Easy Peasy lemon squeezy :RpS_thumbup:

This was an upstairs bedroom and the house was occupied by a tenant so drilling a hole is easier.

I guess we all have our own ways, but an endoscope is great for doing surveys of hard to access areas, floor boards can then be filled with an off cut piece of dowel.

Not cheap but well worth the money.

Yeah I do mostly remedial work now, started spreading but I enjoyed preservation work so moved more into it plus I worked for a couple of companies patching and picked it up that way.

I would say that is the best way to get into the industry

What is your issues with them Swayze? I must admit I am fiercely independent and try to blow my own tin whistle as the cost of trumpets is mad these days lol.

Have you had a negative experience with their members ?

What is your issues with them Swayze? I must admit I am fiercely independent and try to blow my own tin whistle as the cost of trumpets is mad these days lol.

Have you had a negative experience with their members ?

Yes I have @adapt little busy at the moment but will start a thread and maybe you could look at it and give me your opinion before I give you the "opinion" of one of their senior members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey no probs mate it is always good to hear both side of the story, and trust me I have been in the industry long enough to know what is going on.

Oh yeah welcome Swayze its always good to seen new posters on here, debate is good.

Yes I have @adapt little busy at the moment but will start a thread and maybe you could look at it and give me your opinion before I give you the "opinion" of one of their senior members.
Unfortunately naming of firms and individuals in a bad light can get the forum into bother so it will probably be taken Down :(

I think its hard to name people but you can still get your point of view over and send a private msg with what is risky.

Don't get me wrong I don't really like to slag off other people but its good to know what is going on.

I think its hard to name people but you can still get your point of view over and send a private msg with what is risky.

Don't get me wrong I don't really like to slag off other people but its good to know what is going on.
I agree but on an open forum it causes problems and if this place got shut down it would put a lot of people out of work who rely on this place to fix and price their jobs ;)

I am afraid that in the real world naming names very rarely changes the status quo, I personally have seen the poor standard of certain leading companies work and the customers phoning me about rectifying work done by these "experts"

The banks still recommend them the estate agents are still doing the same and when you do a survey that show's up their findings as false the bank then says I have it wrong and they don't lol.

Did a survey the other week that has saved the customer £2400, what is worrying is because they get pushed by these organisations I would say 7/10 surveys they get the work because they come "recommended"

Its not how good you are its about selling houses.

And 90% of the time damp doesn't exist, all that exists is a **** little machine with flashing lights and a bank that won't release money unless you pay these conmen to wreck a perfectly good house, Who is in who's pocket? this should be the next big scandal after PPI.

And 90% of the time damp doesn't exist, all that exists is a **** little machine with flashing lights and a bank that won't release money unless you pay these conmen to wreck a perfectly good house, Who is in who's pocket? this should be the next big scandal after PPI.

Ive always found it quite strange that the rising damp companies giving 25 yr guarantees are always Ltd liability companies. I have no idea why

A guarantee doesn't mean anything but the mortgage or bank will want it it doesn't mean **** every job I have ever been to has been injected at some point, come on. The whole world is being exposed ie pedophilia, bank corruption, police corruption I tell you damp is next and I might even kick it off just for a buzz :)

Status
Not open for further replies.