Decreasing skirting board gap

Members online

muthafunky

Hi all on the plasterers forum.

I've knocked the old, what I presume were concrete, skirting boards off in my living room leaving an approximate 5-6" gap between the plaster and the floor.

I'd like to decrease this gap slightly in order to fit 4" chamfered skirting once it's been skimmed. I have bonding, sand and cement and plasterboard to hand and was wondering which you way you would recommend doing it. In particular the cavity wall underneath the living room window as I've seen differing opinions about bonding or sand/cement when looking online for help.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_141532.jpg
    IMG_20211221_141532.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 220
Sand and cement. Take it down to the floor when applying it. Then rule it off level with existing .then cut the bottom 50mm off back to brick. When it's pulled in.then skim.

Hi all on the plasterers forum.

I've knocked the old, what I presume were concrete, skirting boards off in my living room leaving an approximate 5-6" gap between the plaster and the floor.

I'd like to decrease this gap slightly in order to fit 4" chamfered skirting once it's been skimmed. I have bonding, sand and cement and plasterboard to hand and was wondering which you way you would recommend doing it. In particular the cavity wall underneath the living room window as I've seen differing opinions about bonding or sand/cement when looking online for help.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sorry, if you're stripping out 6" skirting and replacing it with god-awful council-spec 4" skirting, then you're a philistine and you don't qualify for help! :frenetico:

Why decrease? I love larger skirting
Had an extension built which involved modifying another of the living room walls. Told the builder at the time that I was knocking the skirts off in the living room as they were in bad nick when I bought the house so when the modified wall was plastered he stuck some 4" skirting on for me that was used throughout the rest of the ground floor. Also I like the look of them.

It's boxing day have a rest and wait until the new year
I knocked them off a few days ago, I'm not planning on touching it until new year. Was just scrolling the internet looking for information when I found this forum. How would you tackle it?

For a smooth, uniform finish, cut the bottom 50mm off the skirting board. Then skim it in
place and check for level. When you're satisfied with the fit, you can remove the excess
material and replace any damaged pieces with alternate materials. To learn more about
installing skirting boards, visit https://skirtingsrus.co.uk/