David Hall, National Technical Academy Manager, British Gypsum picks up Lifetime Achievement Honour at The Plaisterers Training Awards

Members online

British Gypsum is delighted to announce that National Technical Academy Manager, David Hall has been awarded The Lifetime Contribution to Training Award at this year’s Plaisterers Training Awards.

http://www.plasterersnews.com/david...nt-honour-at-the-plaisterers-training-awards/

David-Hall-wins-Lifetime-Contribution-to-Training-Award.jpg

Pleased for him, looks a nice chap.

Seems to be that plastering courses are all about dry lining and skimming. You barely touch on render really. My course breezed over fibrous too without any depth. There should be more training available in all aspects of plastering and they could all be separate from each other as there’s too much to learn. The most interesting sounded course I’ve heard of is @stuy ’s one

Seems to be that plastering courses are all about dry lining and skimming. You barely touch on render really. My course breezed over fibrous too without any depth. There should be more training available in all aspects of plastering and they could all be separate from each other as there’s too much to learn. The most interesting sounded course I’ve heard of is @stuy ’s one

Seem to be a lot of half and quarter plasterers in the UK. I just don't get not being able to Do all the trade.

There are courses that cover each aspect of the trade Jess and if you do an apprenticeship like Gibbo you'll learn all aspects to quite some depth.
Fibrous and solid plastering have pretty much been two separate trades since way before my old man's time.
The trade has been further fractured, deliberately IMO, to dumb down the trade and suppress prices.
We win quite a few jobs because we'll happily tack, plaster, render and screed. We're a dying breed.

Seem to be a lot of half and quarter plasterers in the UK. I just don't get not being able to Do all the trade.

Evolution. Invention of plasterboard, lightweight coving with tools included, machines to spray gear etc. Everything is getting faster, and the quality is dropping.

Alot of the ‘proper’ spreads , old boys,
Got f**k all now. Grafted 40 years for what? Done work for retired sparky other week. 600+ Detatched house nice cars etc not a mark on him.

I personally want the easy life. I wanna skim them artex ceilings home for 1 on a nice wage. Don’t really care if I’m not classed as a proper spread.

Evolution. Invention of plasterboard, lightweight coving with tools included, machines to spray gear etc. Everything is getting faster, and the quality is dropping.

Got f**k all now. Grafted 40 years for what? Done work for retired sparky other week. 600+ Detatched house nice cars etc not a mark on him.

I personally want the easy life. I wanna skim them artex ceilings home for 1 on a nice wage. Don’t really care if I’m not classed as a proper spread.

We do all. But I push for render jobs with my machines. It's where I make the real money. But can fall in if it's pissing out. I still sometimes to domestic jobs. But it's good that I do all. As it leaves my opinions open.

I don't blame you, but IMO it's an attitude that's only viable if you live near a very large densely populated area.

I don't blame you, but IMO it's an attitude that's only viable if you live near a very large densely populated area.

Definitely. You just do what works for you in this world. It’s an unforgiving trade even if skimming board week in week out. You have to get your worth or in the wrong game imo

There are courses that cover each aspect of the trade Jess and if you do an apprenticeship like Gibbo you'll learn all aspects to quite some depth.
Fibrous and solid plastering have pretty much been two separate trades since way before my old man's time.
The trade has been further fractured, deliberately IMO, to dumb down the trade and suppress prices.
We win quite a few jobs because we'll happily tack, plaster, render and screed. We're a dying breed.
Ah yes I’d have loved one of those apprenticeship thingys! Dreamt of one, but no one wanted me..... can’t think why, I’m lovely :numberone:

Im gutted that I didn’t get to learn everything off someone who’d been the game a long time. Courses can never compete with that. I mainly learned from a builder who prefers joinery than anything. But he’s the only one that would teach me which is why I’ve just rearranged my diary to give him a lift on Monday the old git

Think it’s what opportunities you get. I think external render is a completely different field of knowledge and I would have never just winged it to learn on someone’s house so never really got round to doing it

Ah yes I’d have loved one of those apprenticeship thingys! Dreamt of one, but no one wanted me..... can’t think why, I’m lovely :numberone:

Im gutted that I didn’t get to learn everything off someone who’d been the game a long time. Courses can never compete with that. I mainly learned from a builder who prefers joinery than anything. But he’s the only one that would teach me which is why I’ve just rearranged my diary to give him a lift on Monday the old git
Yeah I think myself very lucky to have worked with my old man, his brothers to a lesser extent and other old school spreads.
Even back when I started my old man was the only one of the 'group' of spreads we knew that could run a cornice in situ. The first time I did one with him was in a penthouse with curved walls all over the joint for acoustics.
Float and set was an everyday job, every spread did external rendering and just about every one I knew screeded.