Dampproofing a bathroom

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuidim

Hi, I am looking at damp-proofing a bathroom with 3 external walls and a plasterer has suggested Vandex on the internal walls. Two things concern me which the plasterer seems a bit vague on 1) does the surface have to be taken back to clean brick or just cleaned of loose old paint/materials? From the looks of it a lot of layers have gone on these walls in the past. 2) If plastering over the vandex should there be a time gap between the vandex going up and the plaster being put on? The data sheet seems to say 4 weeks of curing is required before anything is added, whereas the plasterer said the job would be done in under 3 days. Any answers much appreciated.

hi mate, its best to take it back to brick work and put a coat of sand and cement on the bricks before applying the vandex,, i never leave it for 4 weeks,, as soon as the vandex is dry it can be floated and set

Why are you damp proofing?

Vandex is a tanking material. These are 2 different things that do 2 different jobs.

Hi mate vandex is a tanking barrier so unless you have ground level issues there should be a cheaper alternative. Sounds over spec but it is good stuff and will be fine to plaster on the next day so 3 days sounds reasonable.

Cheers for the replies. The walls are "saturated" apparently, most likely from rising damp, but also condensation. So we're trying to keep the damp in the walls from coming in to the bathroom, whatever you call that, that's what we're doing.

The original plan had been to install a Newton damp-proof membrane and plaster over that but finances have made the vandex option more inviting. Any opinions on a membrane vs vandex?

Condensation hell here if your not careful.

Personally I would use a insulated backer board if its getting tiled and insulated plaster boards on the walls to be skimmed.

s&c will cause a cold wall in a bathroom meaning condensation.

Thanks all.

Dg, that's good to know. Adapt, would you Vandex/damp-proof the walls first before putting the plasterboards up? The condensation point is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.