dampproofing a basement

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

Hi guys ive just won a job to damp proof a basement in sand and cement but the walls r a little wet do i dry them out first or just go striaght on the bricks and is sika the best waterproofer to use on this job.

If you could just dry them out you have solved the problem hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like one of them jobs you should turn down due to lack of knowledge and experience or get someone who is experienced and help them but damp is a very tricky problem so have a think about it might be worth readin a few threads on here regards damp issues.

the newton membrane is the best material to use

you can buy various types to either plaster over or build a stud wall in front of---

also drainage channels leading to a sump with a pump

you really need to look at the floor also??

if you havn't allowed for it its not cheap but is the best solution

as said above just rendering with waterproofer will not be good enough in a damp basement

sorry ---many not be what you wanted to hear!! :(

regards

martin

www.emjenkins.co.uk

oh dear sounds liek me a few years ago! think not if when it gets damp again who they gana call?

leave well alone if you have no experience.

im a damp proofing contractor, and ive lost count the amount of bodged jobs ive been and sorted out that other people have done. as said you will require a pump most probably and an internal cavity tray around the perimeter of the room,and a new concrete floor on top of a membrane on the ground. To make a cellar waterproof and water tight is a decent size job were working on one at the moment and its a forty grand job not including electrics etc just for the shell and floors etc.If you do it on a regular basis is worth getting on a chemical companies approved contractor scheme were they will underwrite all your work with an insurance company so you can issue guarantees for the client.it can be a pain in the arse as you are constantly assesed on your working practices by the chemical company, but its worth it finacially.

I agree with owls and chris w here leave it to the experts... i did a couple years ago and used newton lath and havent had any comeback but may just have been lucky as i never installed a pump

used newton products on a job this year ---does add up though

basement was damp ,but no running water

but did install drainage to walls edge to collect any water and take it to a sump (with a pump in it)

pump may never be needed for this ??

one good thing is the room is a utility ,so put a shower trap under where washing machine is going in case of flood

more probable use for sump and pump!!

www.emjenkins.co.uk

Have done a hell of alot of basements,and I am currently on one now .Walls are to be stripped ,and scudded well, then the dampstore comes out and injects a chemical dpc into the brickwork by drilling every six inchs at the base of every wall,then the walls are coated with sand and cement with a waterproof and salt inhibitor additive and left flat not scratched,the damp store return and paint on a waterproof compound eg heidi or thuroseal,walls are scudded fully again and the the straightening process can begin, tonnes of sand and cement.Its alot of work ,but its nice back to basics stuff ,great satisfaction .

SPREADS said:
Have done a hell of alot of basements,and I am currently on one now .Walls are to be stripped ,and scudded well, then the dampstore comes out and injects a chemical dpc into the brickwork by drilling every six inchs at the base of every wall,then the walls are coated with sand and cement with a waterproof and salt inhibitor additive and left flat not scratched,the damp store return and paint on a waterproof compound eg heidi or thuroseal,walls are scudded fully again and the the straightening process can begin, tonnes of sand and cement.Its alot of work ,but its nice back to basics stuff ,great satisfaction .
basically 'sandwich' tanking to cope with the hydrostatic pressure yes?
martinemj said:
used newton products on a job this year ---does add up though

basement was damp ,but no running water

but did install drainage to walls edge to collect any water and take it to a sump (with a pump in it)

pump may never be needed for this ??

one good thing is the room is a utility ,so put a shower trap under where washing machine is going in case of flood

more probable use for sump and pump!!

www.emjenkins.co.uk
what a brilliant idea! Mcalpine wetroom style shower trap as a backup... fantastic!

I worked for a firm that contracted for a brewery so got to tank lots of pub cellars.
We used a product called vandex tanking slurry.paint 2 coats on walls after using needle gun.
Then 2 coats of s&s with waterproofer.they also.make a chemical.plug for running water.
I remember being called back to 2 of them in 12 years so seems to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.