Damp

Bilko21

Hi I have purchased a Bungalow built in the late 50's it is showing signs of damp inside I believe it could be the damp proof membrane as the membrane is roof slate which is what they used back then. I'm trying to find out weather anybody has come across this problem before and how it was put right please.

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_100430.jpg
    IMG_20190717_100430.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 197
Damp and damp proofing generally divides opinions.

More photos will help but in short there are a few thing you can do yourself to help the situation.

Make sure external ground levels are 150mm below internal floor level and well drained.

Remove the skirting board and make sure the wall plaster doesn’t touch the floor.

Remove a couple of bricks externally and check if the cavity is blocked with crap and clean out.

The black staining and mould is caused by condensation not a damp wall directly. It would have been cold without air flow behind the kitchen units which also wouldn’t have helped matters.

Tanking slurry might be the way to go. I've just used it on an interior wall that had a persistent damp problem that made it impossible to plaster over or decorate without salt efflorescence coming through, until I cut everything back to the brickwork, applied a salt inhibitor & 2 layers of tanking slurry. Seems to have done the job. Not going to risk adding any moisture by plastering over it, but fixing plasterboard attached with foam adhesive. Your mileage may differ.